The Fedora Project is reporting version 13 (code name "Goddard") of the Fedora Linux distribution is scheduled for release on May 18th of this year. Featuring Gnome 2.30, KDE 4.4, and RPM 4.8, Release 13 will also use NFS v4 by default, and include support for mounting NFS servers over IPv6. A feature list is available at fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/13/FeatureList, and Beta media is available for download at fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease. As always, Fedora is a great way to preview technologies that may make it into a future release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. I have personally installed and used Fedora on my laptop and have found it suitable for work related activities. However, I've done this knowing I am capable of supporting this setup myself, since there are many sources of information and support online from the Fedora Community. If I were installing a production system at work, I would most probably use a distribution that my customer could get commercial support for, either from a vendor like Red Hat, or some other consulting firm specializing in long term support.
If you have already tried Fedora 13 Beta, please consider leaving a comment and telling us what you think of the new release!
Pete Vargas Mas is an avid indoorsman and a Linux Consultant in the Washington DC Metro area. Pete is a RHCE and a MCITP, which so far has not caused any eddies in the space-time continuum. He spends most of his time these days herding 529 Linux servers.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Mixtapes Community
3 hours 41 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
4 hours 15 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
4 hours 44 min ago
6 hours 39 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
7 hours 58 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
10 hours 32 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
11 hours 29 min ago
- It's Jupiter
1 day 1 hour ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
1 day 2 hours ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 7 hours ago