Fast Is Hot
Last month, we reported here about Splashtop, which starts a laptop in only a few seconds. Since then, Splashtop reportedly has found its way into the Lenovo IdeaPad S10e and the ASUS Eee PC.
Now there's Cloud, from Good OS, which gave us gOS Linux and a cover story for Linux Journal in March 2008. Good OS calls Cloud “A New Operating System for 2009”. More specifically, the press release says Cloud “integrates a Web browser with a compressed Linux operating system kernel for immediate access to Internet, integration of browser and rich-client applications, and full control of the computer from inside the browser” (http://thinkgos.com/press-release20081201.php).
The browser looks like Google's Chrome, and most of the icons in the Mac-like dock on the bottom of the screen are for Google apps running in “the cloud”. One exception is the Windows symbol. We won't go there. Meanwhile, the fast-start race all goes to Linux.Cloud, launched in December 2008 at the Netbook World Summit in Paris, demonstrated on a GIGABYTE Netbook.
Doc Searls is Senior Editor of Linux Journal
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
|Trying to Tame the Tablet||May 08, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Home, My Backup Data Center
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
1 hour 39 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
2 hours 7 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
3 hours 5 min ago
4 hours 34 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
5 hours 43 min ago
- I like your topic on android
6 hours 29 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
6 hours 50 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
13 hours 5 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
18 hours 43 min ago
- git-annex assistant
1 day 43 min ago