Fabulous Virtual Window Manager Sees First Release in Five Years
After five years, a new stable release of FVWM has finally been announced. FVWM is a lightweight and fast window manager still used by a few distributions and offered as an option on several. This landmark release brings several new and improved features.
Some of the new features include:
- Extended Window Manager Hints support allows the use of docks, widgets, and such.
- Colorset used to define color, gradient, transparency, etc. in specific areas of themes, backgrounds, icons, etc.
- WindowStyle command used to segregate styles to individual elements
- Unmanaged command used to separate any window from FVWM control
- FocusStyle allows focus stealing
- Window states can be used to perform functions on similar groups
- XFT font are support
- Module dynamic actions allow changes while running
- Menu now uses XDG specifications
- PNG/SVG support for icons
- Mouse gestures and window-specific key / mouse bindings
- Lots of new style options for themers
- A new script to upgrade FVWM 2.4 configuration files
- Support for Xinerama, XRender, and Xcursor
FVWM 2.6.0 was released April 15 and a follow-up bugfix, 2.6.1, was released April 16. F doesn't really stand for Fabulous. Tradition says F used to stand for Feeble, but the actual meaning has been lost. Today F doesn't stand for anything. Austrumi is one distribution that relies upon FVWM for its desktop.
Default FVWM 2.6.0 desktop
Susan Linton is a Linux writer and the owner of tuxmachines.org.
Webinar: 8 Signs You’re Beyond Cron
On Demand NOW
Join Linux Journal and Pat Cameron, Director of Automation Technology at HelpSystems, as they discuss the eight primary advantages of moving beyond cron job scheduling. In this webinar, you’ll learn about integrating cron with an enterprise scheduler.View Now!
|Dr Hjkl on the Command Line||May 21, 2015|
|Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future||May 20, 2015|
|Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.||May 18, 2015|
|Using Hiera with Puppet||May 14, 2015|
|Urgent Kernel Patch for Ubuntu||May 12, 2015|
|Gartner Dubs DivvyCloud Cool Cloud Management Vendor||May 12, 2015|
- Initializing and Managing Services in Linux: Past, Present and Future
- Dr Hjkl on the Command Line
- Goodbye, Pi. Hello, C.H.I.P.
- Using Hiera with Puppet
- Infinite BusyBox with systemd
- Gartner Dubs DivvyCloud Cool Cloud Management Vendor
- Urgent Kernel Patch for Ubuntu
- It's Easier to Ask Forgiveness...
- Mumblehard--Let's End Its Five-Year Reign
- Apache Web Servers and SSL Encryption