Distributed music accross the house with Linux, MPD and PXE
A couple of commercials boxes are on the market for the same features, but most of the time they rely on a Windows machine and proprietary software, plus they are not integrated.
They are also some central multichannels amplifiers, but in a exiting house, it's very difficult to install.
So the whole idea is, to use some old terminals, to netboot them over PXE/NFS, boot MPD, and hook them up in the HIFI system in the room.
The terminal will also mount a NFS share to get access to the music files, ogg, mp3,...
The system must have :
* a central point to control it : the MPD client can run on a laptop, a tablet, and there is a web base client
* each room, so terminal, can be assign to :
* a different play list
* the same play list as an another terminal and play in sync with the other terminal
* each terminal must be able to control his amplifier (on, off, maybe volume, input)
* serial connection for the more modern amplifiers
* use a X10 socket to power-on the amplifier
* the central server must be able to power-on. power-off the terminals
* send a shutdown command
* use wake up on lan if supported
* if not, use a X10 socket to power-on, power-off
So far, everything componment exists, the whole challenge is the MPD client and how to play in sync with other MPD's servers.
The terminals I have are some old Visara, they support PXE, they have a sound card, but they don't support wake-on-lan nor APD (so no remote power-off).
I found them on ebay, and costed me a big $100 with the shipping and taxes.
So if you are interested with the project, poke me at email@example.com
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Python Scripts as a Replacement for Bash Utility Scripts
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- New Products
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- RSS Feeds
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development