Distributed music accross the house with Linux, MPD and PXE
A couple of commercials boxes are on the market for the same features, but most of the time they rely on a Windows machine and proprietary software, plus they are not integrated.
They are also some central multichannels amplifiers, but in a exiting house, it's very difficult to install.
So the whole idea is, to use some old terminals, to netboot them over PXE/NFS, boot MPD, and hook them up in the HIFI system in the room.
The terminal will also mount a NFS share to get access to the music files, ogg, mp3,...
The system must have :
* a central point to control it : the MPD client can run on a laptop, a tablet, and there is a web base client
* each room, so terminal, can be assign to :
* a different play list
* the same play list as an another terminal and play in sync with the other terminal
* each terminal must be able to control his amplifier (on, off, maybe volume, input)
* serial connection for the more modern amplifiers
* use a X10 socket to power-on the amplifier
* the central server must be able to power-on. power-off the terminals
* send a shutdown command
* use wake up on lan if supported
* if not, use a X10 socket to power-on, power-off
So far, everything componment exists, the whole challenge is the MPD client and how to play in sync with other MPD's servers.
The terminals I have are some old Visara, they support PXE, they have a sound card, but they don't support wake-on-lan nor APD (so no remote power-off).
I found them on ebay, and costed me a big $100 with the shipping and taxes.
So if you are interested with the project, poke me at email@example.com
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- RSS Feeds
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- New Products
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- There are factors which are
32 min 20 sec ago
- Gnome 3 ?
1 hour 17 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
5 hours 24 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
15 hours 30 min ago
- on the ground
21 hours 52 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
23 hours 21 min ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 2 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 2 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 14 hours ago
1 day 15 hours ago