Multiple Associations with Stream Control Transmission Protocol
This series of articles has covered the basics of SCTP. There are many options that can control, in fine detail, the behaviour of an SCTP stack. There also is ongoing work in bringing a security model into SCTP, so that, for example, TLS can be run across SCTP. There also is work being done on different language bindings to SCTP, such as a Java language binding. SCTP will not make TCP and UDP disappear overnight, but I hope these articles have shown that it has features that can make writing many applications easier and more robust.
Of course, SCTP is not the only attempt to devise new protocols. For comparisons to other new procotols see “Survey of Transport Protocols other than Standard TCP” at www.ogf.org/Public_Comment_Docs/Documents/May-2005/draft-ggf-dtrg-survey-1.pdf. This shows that SCTP stacks up very well against possible alternatives, so you might want to consider it for your next networking project!
Jan Newmarch is Honorary Senior Research Fellow at Monash University. He has been using Linux since kernel 0.98. He has written four books and many papers and given courses on many technical topics, concentrating on network programming for the last six years. His Web site is jan.newmarch.name.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- thanks for share, great
12 hours 58 min ago
- There are factors which are
17 hours 58 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
18 hours 43 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
22 hours 50 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 8 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 15 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 16 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 20 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 20 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 8 hours ago