Role-Based Single Sign-on with Perl and Ruby
This simple collection of a few short Web scripts provides a surprising array of benefits. Login functionality is factored out into a reusable module for Web scripts. Users and roles are now understood by the system. Authorization is separated from authentication. Single sign-on is provided, because one session/cookie is checked by all scripts. The functionality is language- and environment-independent. Easy-to-add custom login templates provide a seamless user experience. And, changes in role assignments take effect in real time, because the role database is consulted every time a script is invoked.
I see this as the payoff for putting in a little bit of time up front to investigate the problem, and plan a good solution. Another factor that contributed to this project's success is the use of Ruby on Rails for back-end data management. I envision that in the future, we'll have suites of application components such as this that adapt to the needs of our users on the front end. And behind the scenes, we'll quickly deploy management applications with tools such as Rails.
A Many-to-Many Tutorial for Rails by Jeffrey Hicks (9/4/2005): jrhicks.net/Projects/rails/has_many_and_belongs_to_many.pdf
Rails Framework Documentation: api.rubyonrails.com
Robb Shecter is a software engineer at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Oregon. He's responsible for Web application development and software engineering processes. He's particularly interested in programming languages and software design. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
6 hours 19 min ago
- There are factors which are
11 hours 19 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
12 hours 4 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
16 hours 11 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 2 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 8 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 10 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 13 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 13 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 1 hour ago