MySQL Deserves a Double Take
Perhaps the biggest asset that MySQL has going for it is a very large, very active community of users and developers. The sheer number of books, Web sites, mailing lists, help forums and code snippets for MySQL is overwhelming.
For its part, MySQL AB has been doing an admirable job of updating the documentation on a regular basis and of moving forward with new features at an impressive rate. (This demonstrates that although open-source software can often be written by volunteers, having paid professionals work on a project can speed it up immensely.) In particular, I am impressed by the on-line documentation, which includes not only numerous examples, but also intelligently placed links to related subjects.
MySQL has grown up quite a bit since I first began to use it more than ten years ago. Some of its quirks, such as using MyISAM tables by default, continue to rankle serious database users who would like to see transactions and foreign keys everywhere. But, especially with versions 5.0 and 5.1, MySQL is looking like a database that can advertise its depth of serious features, rather than claim its main advantage is speed.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime Web/database consultant, is a PhD candidate in Learning Sciences at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. He currently lives with his wife and three children in Skokie, Illinois. You can read his Weblog at altneuland.lerner.co.il.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- New Products
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
3 hours 18 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
8 hours 21 min ago
8 hours 40 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
9 hours 5 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
9 hours 18 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
14 hours 57 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
15 hours 32 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
16 hours 41 sec ago
17 hours 55 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
19 hours 15 min ago