Mobile Phones: the Embedded Linux Challenge
To bolster the nascent adoption of Linux by mobile phone manufacturers, OSDL is creating an initiative called MLI (Mobile Linux Initiative) to bring together mobile chipset manufacturers, Linux-based platform suppliers, ISVs, handset manufacturers, integrators, carriers and operators, and open-source developers. In Beijing during October 2005, OSDL hosted the first meeting for this new initiative. Although the ultimate requirements and development efforts will be driven by the members of this new initiative, MLI has the general goal of addressing a mix of technical and economic challenges, from the kernel up, to accelerate Linux adoption on mobile phones and other converged voice and data devices.
When MLI met for the first time in October 2005, the new body appointed interim governance and immediately got down to the job of requirements gathering and gap analysis. The first likely deliverables are use cases and marketing output. The most important deliverable, as with Carrier Grade Linux, will be the instigation of the new open-source project work to fill the gaps it identifies and to bring currently divergent technologies (like those in this article) into the Linux mainstream. To learn more about MLI, see Resources.
Resources for this article: /article/9073.
Bill Weinberg brings more than 18 years of open systems, embedded and other IT experience to his role as Open Source Architecture Specialist and Linux Evangelist at the Open Source Development Labs, where he participates in OSDL initiatives for carrier-grade, data center and desktop Linux.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- New Products
- Examining Load Average
- Manage Your Configs with vcsh
- thanks for share, great
15 hours 1 min ago
- There are factors which are
20 hours 1 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
20 hours 46 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 53 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 10 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 17 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 18 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 22 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 22 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 10 hours ago