Virtualizers, rejoice! VMware has released version 5.5 of their popular VMware Workstation product. The new 64-bit guest support means that you can run either 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Linux, FreeBSD or Windows on a 64-bit host system, and additional import support lets developers load Symantec Ghost images as VMware virtual machines. The cost is $189 US for electronic download.
Novell has taken the wraps off the latest version of SUSE Linux. Version 10 is the first release to take advantage of Novell's new OpenSUSE initiative. OpenSUSE is Novell's answer to Fedora, letting community members contribute features and fixes to the SUSE Linux offering. Version 10 includes the latest versions of Firefox, OpenOffice.org and improved Windows integration, as well as new features such as Xen virtualization and iFolder. Available for $59 US.
WinSystems' new EPX-GX single-board computer offers a diversity of interface options for developers working on machine-to-machine applications. Based on an AMD GX500@1W processor, it draws a miserly 1.8 A at five volts, but still manages to sport a cornucopia of options, including 10/100 Ethernet, 802.11 support via a miniPCI connector, two USB ports, four comm ports, 24 digital I/O lines, audio, 4x AGP video, keyboard and mouse. Intended for use in applications such as robotics, transportation and other uses requiring a lower-power embedded device, it is compatible with the EPIC standard and is available for $499 US in OEM quantities.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Web Administration Scripts
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
9 min 39 sec ago
- Nothing is perfect
22 min 58 sec ago
- Mixtapes Community
6 hours 1 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
6 hours 36 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
7 hours 4 min ago
8 hours 59 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
10 hours 19 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
12 hours 52 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
13 hours 49 min ago
- It's Jupiter
1 day 4 hours ago