PyCon DC 2003
The first PyCon was a success. People liked the relatively loose schedule that allowed time for private and spontaneous meetings. They were enthusiastic about the new ideas: open space and the sprints. The only complaints I heard were of a "we'll do better next time" variety: the food was the same every day; there was too much food (Guido's picture) considering some registrants had to leave early and others don't show up at all; the registration system for on-site registrants didn't work right; the last day was a little slow; the 15-minute refereed paper-sessions were too short. But none of these were show stoppers, and it was an impressive achievement for Python's first amateur-run conference. More than one person commented that this will likely become Python's "working" conference, the one where development gets done or planned, while others, such as OSCon, will serve mainly to promote Python to those going to those conferences anyway.
A final note to Pythoneers: the theme of PyConDC 2003 was Popularizing Python, and that's also a goal of the Python Software Foundation this year. Now you have learned. Go forth and do something with it.
Mike Orr writes Python articles for Linux Journal and is the Editor of our sister publication Linux Gazette.
|Omesh Tickoo and Ravi Iyer's Making Sense of Sensors (Apress)||Apr 21, 2017|
|Low Power Wireless: 6LoWPAN, IEEE802.15.4 and the Raspberry Pi||Apr 20, 2017|
|CodeLathe's Tonido Personal Cloud||Apr 19, 2017|
|Wrapping Up the Mars Lander||Apr 18, 2017|
|MultiTaction's MT Canvus-Connect||Apr 17, 2017|
|Android Candy: Facebook Everything?!?!||Apr 14, 2017|
- Teradici's Cloud Access Platform: "Plug & Play" Cloud for the Enterprise
- Low Power Wireless: 6LoWPAN, IEEE802.15.4 and the Raspberry Pi
- The Weather Outside Is Frightful (Or Is It?)
- Simple Server Hardening
- Understanding Firewalld in Multi-Zone Configurations
- Gordon H. Williams' Making Things Smart (Maker Media, Inc.)
- Non-Linux FOSS: Control Web-Based Music!
- Server Technology's HDOT Alt-Phase Switched POPS PDU
- IGEL Universal Desktop Converter