The Power of the Incredible Hulk—the ILM Linux Death Star
ILM ships dailies worldwide over the ILM Conduit, a proprietary file-transfer system that uses an encrypted-SSL transport. Everything is doubly encrypted with Blowfish. ILM has playback software for Windows, Macintosh and a Web-based Java applet version that works everywhere. “MJPEG-A QuickTime is our core movie container format”, says Thompson, “but Conduit can carry anything—match-move data, digital pictures, dailies. People can play back dailies on Linux desktops across regular network connections. That's pretty impressive. It used to be you could do that only on SGI equipment”. For dailies, ILM has 20TB in EMC Clarrion FC4700 arrays, fronted by 4-proc Sun E420R servers with 4GB memory and gigabit Ethernet. “Shot disks” are arranged in quarter-terabyte chunks of storage.
“Linux means having incredible amounts of processing power to solve any problem”, says Sutton. “In The Hulk, we had I don't know how many layers of textures for skin and hair. We can do incredibly complex scenes using Linux.” What movies a studio makes is influenced by cost and schedule. Faster, cheaper Linux means more movies.
Jimmy Perry (firstname.lastname@example.org), marketing coordinator of RackSaver, Inc., for his conception and aid in the development of this feature.
Robin Rowe (Robin.Rowe@MovieEditor.com) is a partner in the motion picture technology company MovieEditor.com, the release manager of Film Gimp and the leader of LinuxMovies.org and OpenSourceProgrammers.org.
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Numerical Python
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- RSS Feeds
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- <Watch> HD! Watch Walking On Sunshine Online Full Movie Streaming