I enjoyed both Renato Carrara's letter in the December 2002 Linux Journal, and Gary Nickerson's reply in the January 2003 issue. I don't think that it's necessarily dangerous for a (relatively) small-circulation publication like Linux Journal to sell advertising to Microsoft; Bill's money is just as green as anyone else's. However, as a publication grows, it needs to beware of developing a dependency on large, powerful advertisers such as Microsoft. High overhead can make them susceptible to the threat (explicit or unstated) of one or more large advertisers pulling their ads. I hope that LJ can grow at a measured pace and thus maintain its independent spirit and its outstanding content. In the meantime, I appreciate your great work in building a very useful and readable publication. Please keep it up. And, hey, if you're able to siphon off a few bucks from The Beast along the way, more power to ya.
Regarding the letter “An Ad Is an Ad” in the January 2003 issue, I think the decision not to run ads from Microsoft is a great one. If I need information from them I know exactly where to find it. The ads in Linux Journal nowadays are really a welcomed break from other “infested” publications. I think it's really important that you guys keep your focus on the values of where you came from, since it really makes a big difference for us readers. Truly, it's a joy to read your magazine, all the fresh people and talk and the lack of all the corporate bull.
—Boris Debic, San Mateo, California
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
3 hours 56 min ago
- There are factors which are
8 hours 56 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
9 hours 41 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
13 hours 48 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
23 hours 54 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 6 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 7 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 11 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 11 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 23 hours ago