Best of Tech Support
How do I use a shared printer connected to a Windows 2000 Pro PC? I have Mandrake 8.2.
—Sam Dorrough, email@example.com
Check that the printer is shared from the Windows box and that you have Samba installed on the Linux box. Then run printtool on the Linux box to set up access to the printer.
—Christopher Wingert, firstname.lastname@example.org
It is best to share the printer with a Windows box that has a name of eight characters or less. I have had problems with longer names of shared devices. Documentation on Samba and printers can be found at: us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html.
—Felipe E. Barousse Boué, email@example.com
Free DevOps eBooks, Videos, and more!
Regardless of where you are in your DevOps process, Linux Journal can help!
We offer here the DEFINITIVE DevOps for Dummies, a mobile Application Development Primer, and advice & help from the expert sources like:
- Linux Journal
- New Products
- Flexible Access Control with Squid Proxy
- Users, Permissions and Multitenant Sites
- Security in Three Ds: Detect, Decide and Deny
- High-Availability Storage with HA-LVM
- Tighten Up SSH
- DevOps: Everything You Need to Know
- Non-Linux FOSS: MenuMeters
- Solving ODEs on Linux
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development