Best of Tech Support
How do I use a shared printer connected to a Windows 2000 Pro PC? I have Mandrake 8.2.
—Sam Dorrough, email@example.com
Check that the printer is shared from the Windows box and that you have Samba installed on the Linux box. Then run printtool on the Linux box to set up access to the printer.
—Christopher Wingert, firstname.lastname@example.org
It is best to share the printer with a Windows box that has a name of eight characters or less. I have had problems with longer names of shared devices. Documentation on Samba and printers can be found at: us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html.
—Felipe E. Barousse Boué, email@example.com
- Secret Agent Man
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Own Your DNS Data
- Smoothwall Express
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Bash Shell Script: Building a Better March Madness Bracket
- Simple Server Hardening
- Machine Learning Everywhere
- March 2017 Video Preview
- From vs. to + for Microsoft and Linux