Linux Means Business: A Case Study of Pakistan On-Line
When you plan a very small ISP site or corporate network with a small number of dial-in users, it may be useful to deploy Linux as a remote access server. This saves a lot of money. We are using Linux with the Comtrol Rocketport multiport PCI adapters for this purpose. One Linux system can support up to four adapters, each with 32 high-speed serial ports. Thus, in total you can have 128 ports available in a single Pentium-based computer with good throughput. Since Rocketport cards have on-board intelligent processors, these do not pose much load on the computer. Now, just by making some changes in the login procedure, you can configure many things. For example, you can set the number of simultaneous logins you will allow for a single login name.
Linux is a very useful and stable operating system for ISP services. It provides a cost-effective, user-friendly, easy-to-configure environment. The number of utilities available for ISP operation and support is excellent. The biggest advantage is that it can be used in almost any environment and provides an edge over your competitors.
Rafeeq ur Rehman (email@example.com) received bachelor's and master's degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering, respectively, from the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan. His main areas of interest are computer networks and distributed computing. He has been using Linux since kernel version 0.0.99.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- on the ground
4 hours 21 min ago
- I was able to read the whole
5 hours 50 min ago
- since i have read the title i
9 hours 10 min ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
9 hours 15 min ago
- The kernel doesn't really
21 hours 26 min ago
21 hours 57 min ago
21 hours 57 min ago
1 day 2 min ago
- This should be very helpful
1 day 1 hour ago
- As much as I share your point
1 day 3 hours ago