An Overview of Intel's MMX Technology
Is all this worth the trouble? The answer to this question depends on the importance you give to speed. Comparing the MMX example program to a pure C language version, the speed improvements speak for themselves. The MMX routine is roughly 14 times faster than the C version (Listing 2 in the archive file) when compiled with no optimizations and about five times faster when full -O2 optimizations are enabled. Of course, you will lose portability and will probably have a harder time writing and debugging assembly language code. Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?
- Give new life to old phones and tablets with these tips!
- Readers' Choice Awards--Nominate Your Apps & Gadgets Now!
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Technical Support Rep
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- UX Designer
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development