An Overview of Intel's MMX Technology
Is all this worth the trouble? The answer to this question depends on the importance you give to speed. Comparing the MMX example program to a pure C language version, the speed improvements speak for themselves. The MMX routine is roughly 14 times faster than the C version (Listing 2 in the archive file) when compiled with no optimizations and about five times faster when full -O2 optimizations are enabled. Of course, you will lose portability and will probably have a harder time writing and debugging assembly language code. Life's full of tough choices, isn't it?
- Transitioning to Python 3
- What is your favorite Linux distribution for use on the desktop?
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Red Hat OpenStack Platform
- Stepping into Science
- Radio Free Linux
- Linux Journal December 2016
- CORSAIR's Carbide Air 740
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- FutureVault Inc.'s FutureVault