The following was posted to comp.os.linux.admin in late July by Cor Bosman:It has come to my attention that there is something bad going on with the /etc/gateways file on a lot of Linux machines. In an attempt to set up routed on machines all over the world. After some investigating these seemed to be all Linux machines. I was then told by someone on comp.os.linux.admin that the /etc/gateways file on most Linux distributions (at least all the way since the first SLS distribution) have the following information in /etc/gateways as an “example”:
> net microwalt gateway metallica passive > net hacktic gateway 18.104.22.168 passive > net default gateway 22.214.171.124 active
126.96.36.199 is one of our Suns. I have never given permission to include this in any Linux distribution. Since our domain pays for incoming traffic also, this is costing me a lot of money for no reason. I would therefore like to ask everyone running routed to check their /etc/gateways, and remove both lines mentioning 188.8.131.52. Even if you don't run routed, I'd appreciate it if you remove those entries. I would also ask that this be removed from all future Linux distributions. Knowing who is responsible for the questionable act is also something I'd be happy to hear.
So: Please check your /etc/gateways file! There is a big chance it will have illegal entries since I did not give permission to use those defaults. This may cause unnecessary traffic for both you and me. —Cor Bosman
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Senior Perl Developer
- So girls had it better ?
2 hours 33 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
2 hours 53 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
8 hours 25 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
13 hours 28 min ago
13 hours 48 min ago
- Rapid[Disk,Cache] better than native ram caching?
14 hours 12 min ago
- Nothing is perfect
14 hours 26 min ago
- Mixtapes Community
20 hours 5 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
20 hours 39 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
21 hours 8 min ago