Red Hat CDE
If you administer a heterogeneous Unix environment, it's a good bet that CDE can make your life easier by standardizing an X environment across all platforms. CDE also helps programmers develop and deploy cross-platform X applications with a minimum of fuss.
As a developer, CDE's four workspaces help me reduce clutter on my display. During a typical development session I'll open a terminal process in one workspace, use Netscape Navigator in a second workspace, use ghostview in a third and use xxgdb in the fourth.
I am very happy with my purchase. Red Hat delivers a solid product with good documentation that is well worth the purchase price of $79.95US plus shipping. Red Hat also sells a Developer's Edition for $199.00US. If you enjoy a nice GUI, you too will like CDE. CDE lends a lot of credibility to Linux as a production environment.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Use Linux as a SAN Provider
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- RSS Feeds
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer