GIF Images on the Fly
As with any development project, everyone has their opinion of the best package to use. I have been very satisfied with the gd C library and the GD.pm interface for creating GIF images on the fly. You may find other packages or interfaces that suit your needs better depending on your experience and your web server platform.
My only advice comes originally from my Dad, but slightly modified for the nineties and GIF image creation: “Never use a wrench (image editor) when an air ratchet (programming with GD.pm) can do the job.”
Jimmy Ball is a Supercomputer User Consultant with the Mississippi Center for Supercomputing Research located on the campus of the University of Mississippi. He also freelances as an Internet consultant focusing on web development, Unix administration and training. Jimmy can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Nmap—Not Just for Evil!
- Resurrecting the Armadillo
- High-Availability Storage with HA-LVM
- March 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: System Administration
- Real-Time Rogue Wireless Access Point Detection with the Raspberry Pi
- DNSMasq, the Pint-Sized Super Dæmon!
- Localhost DNS Cache
- Days Between Dates: the Counting
- The Usability of GNOME
- Linux for Astronomers