GIF Images on the Fly
As with any development project, everyone has their opinion of the best package to use. I have been very satisfied with the gd C library and the GD.pm interface for creating GIF images on the fly. You may find other packages or interfaces that suit your needs better depending on your experience and your web server platform.
My only advice comes originally from my Dad, but slightly modified for the nineties and GIF image creation: “Never use a wrench (image editor) when an air ratchet (programming with GD.pm) can do the job.”
Jimmy Ball is a Supercomputer User Consultant with the Mississippi Center for Supercomputing Research located on the campus of the University of Mississippi. He also freelances as an Internet consultant focusing on web development, Unix administration and training. Jimmy can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- Wine 1.8 Released