To run AMD, you simply type amd at the prompt, providing the mount point(s) amd the map(s) on the command line. For example, if the map in listing 1 is named /etc/map.main, and a map named /etc/map.silly also exists, to execute AMD you would type:
amd /u /etc/map.main /silly /etc/map.silly
It is a good idea to include this statement in your rc files.
A number of options are available for the amd command. Two useful options are the ability to specify the NFS mount points and the timeout period. The program amq helps control AMD. For example, amq can force AMD to unmount a file system and to flush the cache (useful when debugging NFS problems). The man page for amq provides a complete description of all its capabilities.
Because AMD is just a front end to regular NFS, you have to worry about the same issues that you would when running NFS alone—you must ensure that exports and their options are correct. Explaining NFS is beyond the scope of this article; however, if you are unfamiliar with the basics of NFS, see the NFS Resources box on page FIXME.
Binaries and patches to port AMD to Linux may be obtained from sunsite and other sources (see sidebar). AMD has stayed relatively stable and bug free in the last few years; development is no longer active. AMD comes with excellent documentation.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- GIMP Shmimp, Give Me a Browser
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tinker with Molecular Dynamics for Fun and Profit
- Linux Kernel News - October 2013
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
23 min 54 sec ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
1 hour 25 min ago
- thanks for the information
2 hours 36 min ago
- nice information thanks
3 hours 15 min ago
6 hours 10 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
18 hours 1 min ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
21 hours 59 min ago
- Very nice write up. I too
1 day 5 hours ago
- That's great article fill of
1 day 11 hours ago
- برامج مجانية
1 day 12 hours ago