Dynamic Kernels: Modularized Device Drivers
The Kernel Korner columns of the following months will introduce further points of module-writing. Code samples can be found inside the kernel and on ftp sites near you.
In particular, what I describe is based on my personal experience with device drivers: both the ceddrv-0.xx and cxdrv-0.xx resemble the code I describe. Georg Zezschwitz and I wrote the ceddrv, which drives a lab interface (A/D, D/A, bells and whistles). The cxdrv driver is simpler, and drives a memory-mapped frame grabber. The latest versions of both drivers are available on ftp://iride.unipv.it/pub/linux for public ftp. ceddrv is also on tsx-11.mit.edu, while cxdev is on sunsite.unc.edu in apps/video.
There are quite a few books about device drivers out there, but they're often too system-specific and describe an awkward interface—Linux is easier. Generic books about Unix internals and the kernel source are the best teachers. I'd suggest to get one of the following:
Maurice J. Bach, The Design of the UNIX Operating System, Prentice Hall, 1986
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Operating Systems: Design and Implementation, Prentice Hall, 1987
Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Modern Operating Systems, Prentice Hall, 1992
Alessandro Rubini (email@example.com) is taking his PhD course in computer science and is breeding two small Linux boxes at home. Wild by his very nature, he loves trekking, canoeing, and riding his bike.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- RSS Feeds
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- thanks for share, great
5 hours 8 min ago
- There are factors which are
10 hours 7 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
10 hours 52 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
15 hours 10 sec ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 1 hour ago
- on the ground
1 day 7 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 8 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 12 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 12 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 33 min ago