SQL vs. NoSQL
What Does Relational Mean in a Relational Database?
In common usage, the relational part of Relational Database refers to (or is often assumed to refer to) the way tables are related to each other via keys. For the truly pedantic though, this is in in fact incorrect. Relational here does not refer to relationships between tables, rather it refers to the mathematical concept of a relation, which is in essence what relational databases call tables. A relational database is a database based on the relational model.
Brewer's CAP Theorem:
Brewer's CAP Theorem by Julian Browne: www.julianbrowne.com/article/viewer/brewers-cap-theorem
CAP Theorem: devblog.streamy.com/2009/08/24/cap-theorem
Towards Robust Distributed Systems by Dr Eric A. Brewer: www.cs.berkeley.edu/~brewer/cs262b-2004/PODC-keynote.pdf
Brewer's Conjecture and the Feasibility of Consistent Available Partition-Tolerant Web Services (2002) by Seth Gilbert and Nancy Lynch: citeseer.ist.psu.edu/544596.html
E. F. Codd's “A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks”: www.seas.upenn.edu/~zives/03f/cis550/codd.pdf
Dennis Forbes on Software and Technology: www.yafla.com/dforbes
Looking to the future with Cassandra by Ian Eure: about.digg.com/blog/looking-future-cassandra
NOSQL debrief by Johan Oskarsson: blog.oskarsson.nu/2009/06/nosql-debrief.html
BASE: An Acid Alternative by Dan Pritchett: queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1394128
Should you go Beyond Relational Databases? by Martin Kleppmann: carsonified.com/blog/dev/should-you-go-beyond-relational-databases
NoSQL Q and A: www.dbms2.com/2009/12/11/nosql-q-and-a
NoSQL Video by Brian Aker: www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnGarRsKnA
Daniel Bartholomew works for Monty Program as a technical writer and system administrator. He lives with his wife and children in North Carolina and often can be found hanging out on both #linuxjournal and #maria on Freenode IRC.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- New Products
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Giving Silos Their Due