Ever perform a cat command on a binary file at the command line? Usually, you get a screen full of bizarre characters, and sometimes you end up with a terminal that's unusable. Rather than having to close the terminal and re-open it, just issue a reset command:
And, all should go back to normal. Sometimes the carriage return may stop working in your terminal, in which case, you need to do the following to make reset work:
<LF> is the line-feed character, normally Ctrl-J.
If you ever need to download an entire Web site, perhaps for off-line viewing, wget can do the job—for example:
$ wget \ --recursive \ --no-clobber \ --page-requisites \ --html-extension \ --convert-links \ --restrict-file-names=windows \ --domains website.org \ --no-parent \ www.website.org/tutorials/html/
This command downloads the Web site www.website.org/tutorials/html/.
The options are:
--recursive: download the entire Web site.
--domains website.org: don't follow links outside website.org.
--no-parent: don't follow links outside the directory tutorials/html/.
--page-requisites: get all the elements that compose the page (images, CSS and so on).
--html-extension: save files with the .html extension.
--convert-links: convert links so that they work locally, off-line.
--restrict-file-names=windows: modify filenames so that they will work in Windows as well.
--no-clobber: don't overwrite any existing files (used in case the download is interrupted and resumed).
You can check your computer's temperature using only standard tools, with the command:
$ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature
Depending on your hardware, you may have more than one sensor.
This method of checking your computer's temperate works only if ACPI thermal zones are supported on your computer. Most laptops and some desktop systems support them.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal
- Wine 1.8 Released
- Firefox OS