Linux users pop up in the most interesting places, don't they?
In this case, I refer to a group of college students working on an electronic stethoscope that runs on a very small Linux distribution that runs from flash memory.
From their site:
The team is designing an electronic stethoscope that will:
* Record high-quality audio data from a patient's body
* Store this audio data in a convenient format
* Use a USB interface to transfer the audio files to a computer
* Reduce the amount of ambient noise that a doctor hears
* Be simple, accurate, and easy to use!
You can also read about it here.