Google Drive for Linux?
For some reason, Google seems to dislike Google Drive users who prefer Linux. I find this particularly strange, since Google's Chrome OS is based on Linux. Thankfully, the folks over at Insync not only provide Linux support for Google Drive syncing, they do it with style.
Insync is a commercial, proprietary application that installs natively in Linux. It offers selective sync, integration with several file managers and a nice tray icon showing sync activity. The coolest feature, however, is the seamless conversion from Google Docs format to LibreOffice format. You can edit your Google Drive documents with the native LibreOffice application, and then it automatically will sync to the cloud in the Web-based Google Docs format! I've tried only a few documents, but in my limited testing, the conversion and sync have been perfect.
Insync has a 15-day free trial and a one-time cost of $9.99. Packages are available for Ubuntu, Fedora, MEPIS and even an unofficial build for Arch Linux. Now that version 1.0 has been released, Insync is available for anyone to download. Due to its native Linux support and super-cool conversion/sync ability, Insync earns this month's Editors' Choice award.
|Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!||Nov 26, 2015|
|Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?||Nov 25, 2015|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.||Nov 24, 2015|
|Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH||Nov 23, 2015|
|Web Stores Held Hostage||Nov 19, 2015|
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Nov 17, 2015|
- Microsoft and Linux: True Romance or Toxic Love?
- Cipher Security: How to harden TLS and SSH
- Non-Linux FOSS: Install Windows? Yeah, Open Source Can Do That.
- Web Stores Held Hostage
- Firefox's New Feature for Tighter Security
- Geek Hide-away in Guatemala - Stay for Free!
- PuppetLabs Introduces Application Orchestration
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- It's a Bird. It's Another Bird!
- IBM LinuxONE Provides New Options for Linux Deployment