Official Ubuntu Server Book, 2nd Edition
We love this book. Perhaps we're a little biased as Linux Journal "Hack and /" columnist Kyle Rankin is the author, but even so it's a really, really good book. And today you can win one.
Ubuntu Server is a complete, free server operating system that just works, with the extra Ubuntu polish, innovation, and simplicity that administrators love.
Now, there’s a definitive, authoritative guide to getting up-and-running quickly with the newest, most powerful versions of Ubuntu Server. The Official Ubuntu Server Book, Second Edition, covers all you need to know to make the most of Ubuntu Server, whether you’re a beginner or a battle-hardened senior system administrator.
The author covers Ubuntu Server from start to finish: installation, basic administration and monitoring, security, backup, troubleshooting, system rescue, and much more. They walk through deploying each of the most common server applications, from file and print services to state-of-the-art, cost-saving virtualization and cloud computing.
In addition, you’ll learn how to
- Make the most of Ubuntu Server’s latest, most powerful technologies
- Discover easy, fast ways to perform key administration tasks
- Automate Ubuntu installs, no matter how many servers you’re installing
- Quickly set up low-cost Web servers and e-mail
- Protect your server with Ubuntu’s built-in and optional security tools
- Minimize downtime with fault tolerance and clustering
- Master proven, step-by-step server and network troubleshooting techniques
- Walk through rescuing an Ubuntu server that won’t boot
- Create your own private cloud computing infrastructure
The included disks contain the versions of Ubuntu Server you’ll need for different CPU architectures: Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS 64-bit CD, and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit DVD, both of which are supported by Canonical for five years.
One randomly drawn winner will be selected to receive today's prize. And if you're a super fan of Kyle Rankin (who isn't), let us know and we'll see if we can't get this one autographed for you too.
Fast/Flexible Linux OS Recovery
On Demand Now
In this live one-hour webinar, learn how to enhance your existing backup strategies for complete disaster recovery preparedness using Storix System Backup Administrator (SBAdmin), a highly flexible full-system recovery solution for UNIX and Linux systems.
Join Linux Journal's Shawn Powers and David Huffman, President/CEO, Storix, Inc.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Client-Side Performance
- Tibbo Technology's Tibbo Project System
- Sony Settles in Linux Battle
- Peppermint 7 Released
- Libarchive Security Flaw Discovered
- Maru OS Brings Debian to Your Phone
- The Giant Zero, Part 0.x
- Profiles and RC Files
- Git 2.9 Released
With all the industry talk about the benefits of Linux on Power and all the performance advantages offered by its open architecture, you may be considering a move in that direction. If you are thinking about analytics, big data and cloud computing, you would be right to evaluate Power. The idea of using commodity x86 hardware and replacing it every three years is an outdated cost model. It doesn’t consider the total cost of ownership, and it doesn’t consider the advantage of real processing power, high-availability and multithreading like a demon.
This ebook takes a look at some of the practical applications of the Linux on Power platform and ways you might bring all the performance power of this open architecture to bear for your organization. There are no smoke and mirrors here—just hard, cold, empirical evidence provided by independent sources. I also consider some innovative ways Linux on Power will be used in the future.Get the Guide