Fabulous Virtual Window Manager Sees First Release in Five Years
After five years, a new stable release of FVWM has finally been announced. FVWM is a lightweight and fast window manager still used by a few distributions and offered as an option on several. This landmark release brings several new and improved features.
Some of the new features include:
- Extended Window Manager Hints support allows the use of docks, widgets, and such.
- Colorset used to define color, gradient, transparency, etc. in specific areas of themes, backgrounds, icons, etc.
- WindowStyle command used to segregate styles to individual elements
- Unmanaged command used to separate any window from FVWM control
- FocusStyle allows focus stealing
- Window states can be used to perform functions on similar groups
- XFT font are support
- Module dynamic actions allow changes while running
- Menu now uses XDG specifications
- PNG/SVG support for icons
- Mouse gestures and window-specific key / mouse bindings
- Lots of new style options for themers
- A new script to upgrade FVWM 2.4 configuration files
- Support for Xinerama, XRender, and Xcursor
FVWM 2.6.0 was released April 15 and a follow-up bugfix, 2.6.1, was released April 16. F doesn't really stand for Fabulous. Tradition says F used to stand for Feeble, but the actual meaning has been lost. Today F doesn't stand for anything. Austrumi is one distribution that relies upon FVWM for its desktop.
Default FVWM 2.6.0 desktop
Susan Linton is a Linux writer and the owner of tuxmachines.org.
- Synchronize Your Life with ownCloud
- Days Between Dates?
- A GUI for Your CLI?
- An Introduction to OpenGL Programming
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- RSS Feeds
- The Only Mac I Use
- Ubuntu & SUSE & CentOS, Oh My!
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
Editorial Advisory Panel
Thank you to our 2014 Editorial Advisors!
- Jeff Parent
- Brad Baillio
- Nick Baronian
- Steve Case
- Chadalavada Kalyana
- Caleb Cullen
- Keir Davis
- Michael Eager
- Nick Faltys
- Dennis Frey
- Philip Jacob
- Jay Kruizenga
- Steve Marquez
- Dave McAllister
- Craig Oda
- Mike Roberts
- Chris Stark
- Patrick Swartz
- David Lynch
- Alicia Gibb
- Thomas Quinlan
- Carson McDonald
- Kristen Shoemaker
- Charnell Luchich
- James Walker
- Victor Gregorio
- Hari Boukis
- Brian Conner
- David Lane