multimedia in Linux
The recent letters on TIvo and Myth TV in the Dec issue were interesting. I recently bought a Dish Network VIP622 to do some engineering tests with the remote control receiver. I put the drive in an external HDD enclosure and discovered that the system works under Linux. It also has an off air TV tuner for both analog and HD TV signals. I assume you can also record off air programs with it, so they have apparently made a system which does what I would like to do with a Linux computer. Unfortunately, Echostar (Dish Network) does not allow the user to use it unless you are subscribed to their satellite service.
Has anyone looked at one of these units? Can I make up a computer to do the same thing? Can I modify the files on the HDD so I can use it as a TV receiver with recording capability?
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Docker: Lightweight Linux Containers for Consistent Development and Deployment
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- New Products
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- Python Scripts as a Replacement for Bash Utility Scripts
- <Watch> HD! Watch Walking On Sunshine Online Full Movie Streaming