Making Music With Your Keyboard
It is extremely easy to get a tiny little keyboard to generate melody in your Linux box. In fact, you can play hundreds of instruments.
Here's how I did it in my Fedora Core 6 and 7 laptops:
1. timidity++ - This can turn MIDI into audio (a synthesizer)
2. vkeybd - A virtual keyboard for your X desktop.
To install in Fedora Core 6 or 7, just type the following command:
# yum -y install timidity++ vkeybd
Start timidity (and connect to ALSA). Note that in Fedora 7, I had to type esd in another terminal before the following command:
1. $ timidity -iA 2. Start vkeybd: $ vkeybd 3. Join the keyboard output and the synthesizer input together. Identify the correct client and port numbers of the keyboard and the synthesizer (TiMidity): $ cat /proc/asound/seq/clients 4. Join them together (arguments should be in correct order - source first). $ aconnect 129:0 128:0
Now you can play. To change the instrument, see the Virtual Keyboard options (View->Program List). If required, increase the volume by using timidity option -An (e.g.: $ timidity -A300 -iA). timidity and vkeybd have many other options to get different behaviors. See the manual pages for details.
This Tech Tip comes from Kamal in Sri Lanka. Thanks, Kamal!
Instant fame is easy at Linux Journal. Just send us your useful Tech Tips to share with the Linux Community, and we'll send you a cool t-shirt for your efforts!
Please note: Tech Tips featured in this specific section of LinuxJournal.com are kindly brought to us by readers and are not necessarily tested by LinuxJournal.com editors.
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
- Considering Legacy UNIX/Linux Issues
- Cluetrain at Fifteen
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Getting Good Vibrations with Linux
- New Products
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- Putlocker!! Watch Begin Again Online 2014 Streaming Full Movie
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds