Tux Gone Phishing?
According to eBay's security chief, Linux – not Windows – is the preferred OS for spammers and phishers.
Dave Cullinane told Computerworld that eBay has done exhaustive analysis on the systems used by spammers and phishers, and found that most were Linux boxes infected with rootkits, not compromised Microsoft boxes. The announcement came – coincidentally, of course - at a Microsoft-sponsored security conference.
Symantec Security VP Afred Huger weighed in to say that Linux boxes are generally used to control botnets, but the actual bots are almost always Windows computers.
Justin Ryan is a Contributing Editor for Linux Journal.
- Great Scott! It's Version 13!
- Divx# Watch The Other Woman Full HD Online Streaming Viooz
- Numerical Python
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Adminer—Better Than Awesome!
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- RSS Feeds
- It Actually Is Rocket Science
- Senior Perl Developer