The gEDA project has produced and continues working on a full GPL'd suite of Electronic Design Automation tools. These tools are used for electrical circuit design, schematic capture, simulation, prototyping, and production. Currently, the gEDA project offers a mature suite of free software applications for electronics design, including schematic capture, attribute management, bill of materials (BOM) generation, netlisting into over 20 netlist formats, analog and digital simulation, and printed circuit board (PCB) layout.
The gEDA project was started because of the lack of free EDA tools for UNIX. The tools are being developed mainly on GNU/Linux machines, but considerable effort is being made to make sure that gEDA runs on other UNIX variants. For a complete list of freely available tools please be sure to visit Open Collector.
Open Collector's Web site says: "Open Collector carries listings and news for free EDA software and circuit designs." Yes, that's right, there are free circuit designs there too. A couple years ago Linux Journal covered gEDA in greater detail, and you can reread that here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8438
Thanks to Kevin from Oregon, USA who provided this Dot Org of the Week.
Do you know of a Dot Org in the Linux or Open Source worlds that is making a valiant contribution to our Community - without getting paid for it? If so, let us know about it. We want to recognize their efforts. We also want to give you a free t-shirt for your efforts! Send it to: email@example.com
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- New Products
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk