Open Source methodology has gained some ground in one of the last places you and I might expect: In the development area of corporations. Consultants are calling environments like Sourceforge Enterprise Edition a Digital Development Environment.
What about CVS and Subversion? They call that a code collaborative. Well, what about the developer's itch? That's now the sponsor's charter.
How long will it take for the new moniker of Digital Development Environment (DDE) to replace the term Open Source? I might assert that your guess isn't as good as mine. I don't mean that in an arrogant way. I just happen to live in that part of the consulting world where CIOs and Directors want to reposition OSS terms that scare their subordinates.
The term DDE appears is more digestible. CIO and directors are calling OSS methodology the new paradigm; it's something that IT workers expect as the world shifts away from analog development cycles to digital ones.
I anticipate that Open Source adoption will accelerate rapidly under the new moniker of DDE. If you think about it in terms of positioning, the term Open Source isn't needed in an enterprise.
One bright spot does exist in this "adopt and extend" model. If you consult, the companies engaged in changing their paradigms need you. They need a DDE consultant to teach them how to do Open Source development. Go figure.
Tom Adelstein currently works as a contract technical writer in the Information Technology Field. In March 2007, his latest O'Reilly Book, Linux System Administration was released. Tom's home web site Open Source Today has tips and techniques for system administrators and Open Source VARs.
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- RSS Feeds
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- Web Administration Scripts
- New Products
- thanks for share, great
31 min 19 sec ago
- There are factors which are
5 hours 31 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
6 hours 15 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
10 hours 23 min ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
20 hours 29 min ago
- on the ground
1 day 2 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 4 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 7 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 7 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
1 day 19 hours ago