Some Ruby Before Christmas
'Twas the Saturday before Christmas and throughout Ruby-land
hackers were working, refact'ring by hand.
Their programs were written with the greatest of care
in hopes that a new VM soon would be there.
The newsgroup was still, the irc channels too
In light of the quiet, what's a blogger to do?
When up on the mail list, there arose such a clatter
I sprang to my laptop to see what was the matter.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
but a great bunch of news before the New Year.
Well, Clement Clark Moore I'm not, but this has been a great couple of weeks for Ruby, and those of us who enjoy it:
- rubinius (the smalltalk inspired VM written by Evan Phoenix and a host of others) is moving fast and is drawing a lot of interest from Ruby-fans everywhere.
- Not to be outdone, Jruby (Ruby on the JVM from Charles Nutter, Thomas Enobo, and a large and active group of contributors) has just released version 0.9.2
- Mongrel (the super fast, super secure Ruby webserver) is sitting on the cusp of a 1.0 release thanks to the work of Zed Shaw and his cohorts.
- RubyInside published a Ruby Advent Calendar
- Ruby 1.8.5 p2 was released in response to a security vulnerability.
- Ruby development has moved from the old cvs base to a new SVN repository
- Jeremy McAnally has announced that he's releasing his Humble Little Ruby Book for free as a Christmas gift to the Ruby community.
I hope you're looking forward to a great 2007, full of Ruby goodness. Have a happy holiday season.
Update: I nearly forgot Jeremy McAnally's announcement (the last item on the list).
-- -pate http://on-ruby.blogspot.com
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems
Join editor Bill Childers and Bit9's Paul Riegle on April 27 at 12pm Central to learn how to keep your Linux systems secure.
Free to Linux Journal readers.Register Now!
|diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development||Aug 20, 2014|
|Security Hardening with Ansible||Aug 18, 2014|
|Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark||Aug 14, 2014|
|IndieBox: for Gamers Who Miss Boxes!||Aug 13, 2014|
|Non-Linux FOSS: a Virtualized Cisco Infrastructure?||Aug 11, 2014|
|Linux Security Threats on the Rise||Aug 08, 2014|
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Monitoring Android Traffic with Wireshark
- New Products
- [<Megashare>] Watch Mrs Brown's Boys Movie Online Full Movie HD 2014
- Returning Values from Bash Functions
- Cooking with Linux - Serious Cool, Sysadmin Style!
- RSS Feeds