More on Ruby Implementations
"Rubinius is a project to watch", so says Charles Nutter in his post Rite, Rubinius, and Everything — I think he's right. Evan is hard at work making things work better in rubinius. He's now got continuations working (I think this makes him the first alternative implementation of Ruby to do so), and says he should have serializable continuations soon (see his post on it here). W00t!
A lot of this progress, Evan's and others, is getting better visibility (and is having a better chance to affect other implementations) because of the recent implementers summit at RubyConf; see coverage here (on-ruby.blogspot.com) or here (blog.nicksieger.com) or over here (www.tbray.com).
The most important outcome of the summit is the summit is that it's generated a number of ongoing discussions among the various implementers. One of thing that this is going to do is prevent the splintering of Ruby (www.infoq.com) that some people are predicting.
Two more big wins are the revivification of the RubySpec project and the RubyTests project. The first is an attempt to build a complete Ruby 1.8 specification that all the implementations can build against. The second is a unified (light-weight) test suite that all the implementations can use to verify that they're really Ruby.
Cool things just keep happening, and I can't wait to see what the next six months old for Ruby and all the little rubies that are popping up.
|Omesh Tickoo and Ravi Iyer's Making Sense of Sensors (Apress)||Apr 21, 2017|
|Low Power Wireless: 6LoWPAN, IEEE802.15.4 and the Raspberry Pi||Apr 20, 2017|
|CodeLathe's Tonido Personal Cloud||Apr 19, 2017|
|Wrapping Up the Mars Lander||Apr 18, 2017|
|MultiTaction's MT Canvus-Connect||Apr 17, 2017|
|Android Candy: Facebook Everything?!?!||Apr 14, 2017|
- MultiTaction's MT Canvus-Connect
- Gordon H. Williams' Making Things Smart (Maker Media, Inc.)
- Teradici's Cloud Access Platform: "Plug & Play" Cloud for the Enterprise
- Server Technology's HDOT Alt-Phase Switched POPS PDU
- Buddy Platform Limited's Parse on Buddy Service
- Non-Linux FOSS: Control Web-Based Music!
- The Weather Outside Is Frightful (Or Is It?)
- Simple Server Hardening
- IGEL Universal Desktop Converter
- Low Power Wireless: 6LoWPAN, IEEE802.15.4 and the Raspberry Pi