Running Ubuntu as a Virtual OS in Mac OS X
In the end, I did have a fully functional Ubuntu Linux running within each of the two virtualization environments—one was sufficiently fast that when I put it into full-screen mode on my 2.3GHz MacBook Pro running Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.1, I really could use it for editing documents, surfing the Net and experimenting with Ubuntu and Linux graphical apps. In fact, I was rather surprised by how snappy the operating system was within these environments, as I'd run Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista within the virtualization world and had found it functional, but not comparable to a real PC. Linux within the virtualization world, however, was quite pleasantly snappy and very usable.
This leaves us the fundamental question with which we started, why? If you have a logical reason to run a full Linux distro on your Mac for testing or experimentation, or to gain access to applications not otherwise available within the Mac OS X world, this is a satisfying path to travel.
Dave Taylor has been hacking shell scripts for over thirty years. Really. He's the author of the popular "Wicked Cool Shell Scripts" and can be found on Twitter as @DaveTaylor and more generally at www.DaveTaylorOnline.com.
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
|Trying to Tame the Tablet||May 08, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Home, My Backup Data Center
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
17 min 5 sec ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
45 min 35 sec ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
1 hour 43 min ago
3 hours 12 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
4 hours 21 min ago
- I like your topic on android
5 hours 7 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
5 hours 28 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
11 hours 43 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
17 hours 21 min ago
- git-annex assistant
23 hours 21 min ago