KOffice 2.0 does have new features that stand on their own, such as additional functions for KSpread and the option to encrypt files while saving them. However, such enhancements seem minor compared to those in the interface. While altering KOffice under the hood, its development team also has made serious efforts to enhance the interface—so much so that the user experience is almost completely different in 2.0 from that of earlier releases.
Some of these changes work better than others. In particular, some of the names could be better chosen, at least in English. Apart from the potential confusion from having two dockers called Styles, some, such as the shapes library called Funny, simply seem inappropriate. Then too, the name dockers itself is always going to set North Americans to thinking of business-casual pants.
Still, KOffice 2.0's final release is less likely to be met with the same hostility that KDE 4.0 encountered. True, the possibility of some missing features remains strong—barring a last-minute coding blitz—and some users will complain about any changes.
However, although KOffice 2.0's changes are impossible to miss, they are far less radical than KDE 4.0's. They are not so much changes in the basic concepts you need to use the office suite as improvements in usability. Provided users are not immediately intimidated by the array of dockers, they should find KOffice 2.0 more accessible and quicker and easier to use than those of previous releases. These improvements make KOffice 2.0 a joy to use and more than justify the long wait for the final release.
Bruce Byfield is a computer journalist who writes regularly for the NewsForge and Linux Journal Web sites.
-- Bruce Byfield (nanday)
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Advanced Hard Drive Caching Techniques
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Mars Needs Women
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- RSS Feeds
- Web Administration Scripts
- Linux Systems Administrator
- thanks for share, great
16 hours 20 min ago
- There are factors which are
21 hours 20 min ago
- Gnome 3 ?
22 hours 5 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
1 day 2 hours ago
- "Redis RethinkDB 4.5%" on Best NoSQL Databases
1 day 12 hours ago
- on the ground
1 day 18 hours ago
- I was able to read the whole
1 day 20 hours ago
- since i have read the title i
1 day 23 hours ago
- Belanja Online Cari Voucher Diskon
1 day 23 hours ago
- The kernel doesn't really
2 days 11 hours ago