FPGA Programming with Linux
Due to space constraints, I have given only a very limited view of the FPGA design flow. Pushing FPGAs to the limits requires lots of skill and experience. I have said nothing about floor planning, optimization or simulation strategies, nor have I gone into how to run Linux inside FPGAs. All these are excellent topics for future articles.
My goal with this article was simply to show that it is very easy to start learning these skills, and that there already is a strong community to help you. Students, for example, might consider whether FPGAs are what they need to become the next Linus or Steve Jobs. In my opinion, any high school already teaching programming should add FPGA to its courses. If yours is already doing it, please let me know.
I wish to thank K. Chapman and F. Porpora at Xilinx, and the FPGA Gurus of DekItalia.com, who helped me greatly in preparing this article.
Xilinx FPGA Design Tools for Linux by Michael Baxter: www.linuxjournal.com/article/6857
Embedded System à la Carte by Michael Baxter: www.linuxjournal.com/article/6073
Spartan Starter Kit Datasheet: www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-SPAR3AN-SK-UNI-G.htm
OpenCore's Linux and Xilinx FPGA Dev Board: www.opencores.org/?do=project&who=eus100lx
Xilinx Linux Forum: forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board?board.id=ELINUX
Xilinx Documentation: www.xilinx.com/design
Articles about Digital Rights and more at http://stop.zona-m.net CV, talks and bio at http://mfioretti.com
|The True Internet of Things||Sep 02, 2015|
|September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs||Sep 01, 2015|
|September 2015 Video Preview||Sep 01, 2015|
|Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic||Aug 31, 2015|
|Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?||Aug 28, 2015|
|A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects||Aug 27, 2015|
- Using tshark to Watch and Inspect Network Traffic
- September 2015 Issue of Linux Journal: HOW-TOs
- The True Internet of Things
- Problems with Ubuntu's Software Center and How Canonical Plans to Fix Them
- Concerning Containers' Connections: on Docker Networking
- Firefox Security Exploit Targets Linux Users and Web Developers
- Where's That Pesky Hidden Word?
- A Project to Guarantee Better Security for Open-Source Projects
- Build a “Virtual SuperComputer” with Process Virtualization
- My Network Go-Bag