FPGA Programming with Linux
Due to space constraints, I have given only a very limited view of the FPGA design flow. Pushing FPGAs to the limits requires lots of skill and experience. I have said nothing about floor planning, optimization or simulation strategies, nor have I gone into how to run Linux inside FPGAs. All these are excellent topics for future articles.
My goal with this article was simply to show that it is very easy to start learning these skills, and that there already is a strong community to help you. Students, for example, might consider whether FPGAs are what they need to become the next Linus or Steve Jobs. In my opinion, any high school already teaching programming should add FPGA to its courses. If yours is already doing it, please let me know.
I wish to thank K. Chapman and F. Porpora at Xilinx, and the FPGA Gurus of DekItalia.com, who helped me greatly in preparing this article.
Xilinx FPGA Design Tools for Linux by Michael Baxter: www.linuxjournal.com/article/6857
Embedded System à la Carte by Michael Baxter: www.linuxjournal.com/article/6073
Spartan Starter Kit Datasheet: www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-SPAR3AN-SK-UNI-G.htm
OpenCore's Linux and Xilinx FPGA Dev Board: www.opencores.org/?do=project&who=eus100lx
Xilinx Linux Forum: forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board?board.id=ELINUX
Xilinx Documentation: www.xilinx.com/design
Articles about Digital Rights and more at http://stop.zona-m.net CV, talks and bio at http://mfioretti.com
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- Linux Kernel News - November 2013
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- Linux Systems Administrator
- The kernel doesn't really
24 min 48 sec ago
55 min 48 sec ago
55 min 54 sec ago
3 hours 45 sec ago
- This should be very helpful
4 hours 14 min ago
- As much as I share your point
6 hours 34 min ago
- So girls had it better ?
10 hours 6 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
10 hours 26 min ago
- why is GNOME 3 in the fifth position at 14.1 %?
15 hours 58 min ago
- Sublime Is Brilliant!
21 hours 1 min ago