At the Forge - Phusion Passenger
The beauty of Apache is its flexibility, and Passenger makes it possible for us to incorporate that flexibility into our Rails applications, using the same server software that we've used for years.
Phusion Passenger has made it easier to deploy Rails applications, which is a good thing for Rails developers everywhere. It not only allows you to use your existing knowledge of the Apache server, but also means you can incorporate some of the many modules that have been developed for Apache over the years.
You can learn more about Ruby on Rails at www.rubyonrails.com. Information about Phusion Passenger is at www.modrails.com. The site contains a great deal of documentation, including a full list of configuration directives that allows you to customize fully the way that Passenger is deployed for your site.
The book Deploying Rails Applications, published by the Pragmatic Programmers and written by several well-known Rails developers, doesn't include a description of Passenger. But, it does have a large number of other, good suggestions for rolling out Rails applications, and all Rails developers would do well to look at this book, including the many useful hints that it offers.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime Web/database developer and consultant, is a PhD candidate in learning sciences at Northwestern University, studying on-line learning communities. He recently returned (with his wife and three children) to their home in Modi'in, Israel, after four years in the Chicago area.
Web Development News
|Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development||May 20, 2013|
|Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)||May 16, 2013|
|Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This||May 15, 2013|
|Home, My Backup Data Center||May 13, 2013|
|Non-Linux FOSS: Seashore||May 10, 2013|
|Trying to Tame the Tablet||May 08, 2013|
- RSS Feeds
- Making Linux and Android Get Along (It's Not as Hard as It Sounds)
- Using Salt Stack and Vagrant for Drupal Development
- New Products
- Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
- Drupal Is a Framework: Why Everyone Needs to Understand This
- A Topic for Discussion - Open Source Feature-Richness?
- Download the Free Red Hat White Paper "Using an Open Source Framework to Catch the Bad Guy"
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Home, My Backup Data Center
- Android is Linux -- why no better inter-operation
2 hours 1 min ago
- Connecting Android device to desktop Linux via USB
2 hours 30 min ago
- Find new cell phone and tablet pc
3 hours 28 min ago
4 hours 57 min ago
- Automatically updating Guest Additions
6 hours 5 min ago
- I like your topic on android
6 hours 52 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
7 hours 13 min ago
- This is the easiest tutorial
13 hours 28 min ago
- Ahh, the Koolaid.
19 hours 6 min ago
- git-annex assistant
1 day 1 hour ago