At the Forge - OpenSocial and Google Gadgets
For the latest updates on OpenSocial, consult the Google group for OpenSocial at groups.google.com/group/opensocial. I particularly suggest looking at the list of recent activity, which is at groups.google.com/group/opensocial/web/whats-up-with-opensocial.
Extensive information about Google Gadgets can be found at code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/basic.html, including many examples. Some of the examples and instructions were slightly out of date, but with a bit of digging, you should be able to figure out what is going on.
To understand more about this month's specific example, which involved retrieving remote content, consult code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/remote-content.html.
Marc Andreessen, who cofounded Netscape and is now running the Ning site for creating social networks, writes a blog about the software industry, startups and OpenSocial at blog.pmarca.com.
Reuven M. Lerner, a longtime Web/database developer and consultant, is a PhD candidate in learning sciences at Northwestern University, studying on-line learning communities. He recently returned (with his wife and three children) to their home in Modi'in, Israel, after four years in the Chicago area.
- VMware's Clarity Design System
- Let's Go to Mars with Martian Lander
- Applied Expert Systems, Inc.'s CleverView for TCP/IP on Linux
- Papa's Got a Brand New NAS
- My Childhood in a Cigar Box
- On Your Marks, Get Set...Gutsy Gibbon!
- Rogue Wave Software's TotalView for HPC and CodeDynamics
- Panther MPC, Inc.'s Panther Alpha
- Simplenote, Simply Awesome!
- Jetico's BestCrypt Container Encryption for Linux