Enlightenment—the Next Generation of Linux Desktops
E17 is under heavy development and probably not useful for business purposes. However, it's ready for personal use, especially for those with older PCs that could stand to be revived. System requirements for E are extremely low, with dazzling 2-D effects rivaling the best of Compiz Fusion without the need for an up-to-date graphics card. Completely rewritten using EFL, E is not like any other window manager or desktop in existence. It's intended to be the next generation of desktops—a desktop shell that sits somewhere between window manager and full-fledged desktop. E is not for everyone, but for most users, E should be a pleasant experience. And, it's lightning fast to boot. I hope that Linux users, old and new alike, will come to recognize that there's more to Linux than just KDE and GNOME.
Jay Kruizenga resides in Grand Rapids, Michigan. A small-business owner, Linux advocate and freelance writer, Jay spends most of his free time reading, writing or creating projects.
- Readers' Choice Awards--Nominate Your Apps & Gadgets Now!
- Security Hardening with Ansible
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Memory Ordering in Modern Microprocessors, Part I
- Source Code Scanners for Better Code
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Non-Linux FOSS: AutoHotkey
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator