Linux Journal Contents #97, May 2002
May 01, 2002 By Staff
Lowering Latency in Linux: Introducing a Preemptible Kernel
by Robert Love
Love explains just how this kernel patch does its magic.
How the PCI Hot Plug Driver Filesystem Works
by Greg Kroah-Hartman
Oh, the simplistic sweetness of a RAM-based filesystem.
Netfilter 2: in the POM of Your Hands
by David A. Bandel
Now that you've got the basics, it's time for advanced iptables building.
Taking Advantage of Linux Capabilities
by Michael Bacarella
Bacarella gives the skinny on the security benefits of POSIX capabilities in the Linux kernel.
Debugging Kernel Modules with User-Mode Linux
by David Frascone
Keep your kernel (and hardware) safe by running it in user space with UML.
Crystal Space: an Open-Source 3-D Graphics Engine
by Howard Wen
Finally the advantages of open source come to 3-D graphics engines.
The Beowulf State of Mind
by Glen Otero
An introduction to Beowulf clusters and a HOWTO on setting up a Rocks cluster.
LJ Talks with Linux Kernel Developer Ted Ts'o
by Don Marti and Richard Vernon
Ted talks about current kernel development, his passion for amateur radio and more.
At the Forge Databases and Zope
by Reuven M. Lerner
Cooking with Linux Getting to Know You...My Kernel
by Marcel Gagné
Paranoid Penguin Understanding IDS for Linux
by Pedro Bueno
GFX Tippet Studio and Nothing Real's Shake
by Robin Rowe
Focus on Software Pessissism or Realism?
by David A. Bandel
Focus on Embedded Systems Embedded Linux Targets Telecom Infrastructure
by Rick Lehrbaum
Linux for Suits It's Elemental—Natural Advantages
by Doc Searls
Geek Law : The Role of Standards
by Lawrence Rosen
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Building a Multisourced Infrastructure Using OpenVPN
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- New Products
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk