Linux Journal Contents #198, October 2010
Linux has a secret weapon! Know what it is? It's the command line. If you're not using it you're not getting the most out of your Linux system. For an quick look at a bunch of useful command line tools see our Command Line Application Roundup. Also see our article on article on Directory Bookmarks for Bash. And our blast from the past: SC: The Venerable Spreadsheet Calculator, a command line spreadsheet program. And another little know fact: in addtion to having a nice GUI, you can use VirtualBox is a command line Virutalization program. Also in this issue: rdiff-backup and rdiffWeb, Mutt configuration, Cassandra, Google TV, MeeGo, the Ben NanoNote, and a super cool cover.
Command-Line Application Roundup
by Jes Fraser
A quick overview of some popular command-line tools.
DirB, Directory Bookmarks for Bash
by Ira Chayut
Making the command line go faster.
sc: the Venerable Spreadsheet Calculator
by Serge Hallyn
A spreadsheet you can run in a terminal.
Using rdiff-backup and rdiffWeb to Back Up and Restore
by Adrian Klaver
Are you backed up?
Introduction to the MeeGo Software Platform
by Ibrahim Haddad
Maemo + Moblin == MeeGo
Virtualization the Linux/OSS Way
by Greg Bledsoe
Manage VirtualBox from the command line.
Reuven M. Lerner's At the Forge
Dave Taylor's Work the Shell
Function Return Codes and Daylight Calculations
Kyle Rankin's Hack and /
Take Mutt for a Walk
Kyle Rankin and Bill Childers' Point/Counterpoint
Sane Defaults vs. Configurability
Doc Searls' EOF
A Look at the Ben NanoNote
by Daniel Bartholomew
In Every Issue
- Ubuntu MATE, Not Just a Whim
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Build Your Own Raspberry Pi Camera
- Nasdaq Selects Drupal 8
- Non-Linux FOSS: Screenshotting for Fun and Profit!
- Canonical Ltd.'s Ubuntu Core
- Secure Desktops with Qubes: Compartmentalization
- The Peculiar Case of Email in the Cloud
- Polishing the wegrep Wrapper Script
- A New Mental Model for Computers and Networks