Linux Journal Contents #186, October 2009
When it comes to hacking nobody does it like an OSS hacker does. An OSS hacker is a real "hacker" and not a "cracker". This month's focus is "Hack This/Programming Hacks". First up on the hacking plate, and on the cover: Coreboot. Coreboot is meant to displace one of the most intransigent pieces of proprietary software: your motherboard BIOS. Next up is a bit of FPGA programming. Then comes some simple O/S development using KVM to learn your first steps. And if you're an Android drooler, find out where you can put it. In the "unfocused" part of the magazine you'll find our normal offerings on things such as Spam-Fighting, OpenGL/Clutter, Laptop Hardening, RSpec, HTop, Open Cubic Player, and at least a zillion other things.
Coreboot at Your Service!
by Anton Borisov
Use coreboot to take control of your hardware.
FPGA Programming with Linux
by Marco Fioretti
Real hardware hacking.
Linux KVM as a Learning Tool
by Duilio J. Protti
Create the next great OS with the help of KVM.
by Bill Childers
More than a cell-phone OS?
Innovative Interfaces with Clutter
by Alex Crits-Christoph
A simple way to use OpenGL.
Reuven M. Lerner's At the Forge
Dave Taylor's Work the Shell
Web Server Tricks with $RANDOM
Mick Bauer's Paranoid Penguin
Brutally Practical Linux Desktop Security
Kyle Rankin's Hack & /
Spam: the Ham Hack
Doc Searls' EOF
Turning the Internet Outside In
In Every Issue
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- Server Hardening
- Giving Silos Their Due
- 22 Years of Linux Journal on One DVD - Now Available
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Firefox OS
- February 2016 Issue of Linux Journal