Linux Journal Contents #124, August 2004
Aug 01, 2004 By Staff
Ultimate Linux Box 2004
by Paul Bibaud, Jesse Keating, Cosmo King, Eric Logan, Micah Spacek, Tim Lee and Don Marti
We take a peek at a no-compromises system that will give everyone some PC construction ideas.
Linux on Linksys Wi-Fi Routers
by James Ewing
This sub-$100 wireless box has 16MB of RAM and a 125MHz processor. Put it to work.
2004 Editors' Choice Awards
by LJ Staff
Our newly expanded team of experts comes to some surprising conclusions on the year's best products and projects.
Linux Serial Consoles for Servers and Clusters
by Matthew E. Hoskins
Keep your servers under control with one cable, not a rackload.
Distributed Caching with Memcached
by Brad Fitzpatrick
Speed up your database app with a simple, fast caching layer that uses your existing servers' spare memory.
Data Acquisition with Comedi
by Caleb Tennis
Whatever you're discovering or inventing, now you can use any data acquisition card with the same API.
Declic: Linux 2.6 on the International Space Station
by Taco Walstra
Linux fits into this new research program in several ways, from meeting real-time requirements with the 2.6 kernel to offering a prototyping platform for microcontroller code.
Driving Me Nuts
by Greg Kroah-Hartman
At the Forge
Weblogs and Slash
by Reuven M.
Storage Improvements in 2.6 and for 2.7
by Paul E. McKenney
Cooking with Linux
The Ultimate Cooking Box
by Marcel Gagné
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Wine 1.8 Released
- Firefox OS
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk