My experiences so far...
Let me start by saying that I'm not intending for this to be another "I hate digital" thread.
I'll admit that I'm not thrilled about the change (my reasons have already been stated by others), nor the lack of notice (also stated by others).
But I've been a subscriber for a long time, and I've gotten a lot out of my subscription. So, as much as I don't like the move to digital-only, I figure I'll give it a chance.
That being said, I already have feedback regarding the digital edition.
First- I've used Texterity in the past for other magazines, and I don't like it. So it's PDF for me (or maybe the android app if that turns out OK, but I haven't used it yet).
Second- it appears that the September issue is already out, but I never received the notification email. The email address listed in my subscription info is correct, and I see nothing in my spam logs.
Third- The login for the subscription services (including digital download) is annoying. I really don't want to memorize my (otherwise useless) subscriber ID. Can this login be changed to a username, or email address, or something more memorable?
Fourth- The "Update Subscription Information" form defaults to "enhanced digital edition" every time I go back to it, no matter how many times I choose PDF (and yes, I'm clicking "Update my Account").
So yeah. Still not thrilled. But I'll give it a few months and see how it goes.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- diff -u: What's New in Kernel Development
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Server Hardening
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- Non-Linux FOSS: Snk
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet
- Wine 1.8 Released