Going digital is fine but the formats are a joke
PDF is a bad imitation of a print magazine. Now the non-existent print magazine. PDF has never been a proper digital format for delivering the magazine. Yes, I have the PDF’s stored but have I ever read a single article form them? No.
"Enhanced Digital Edition”? An even worse insult to a paying customer. It’s like all the similar bad imitations of print magazines being tried on people in the last 10 years. And most people still don’t want such a craptastic on-screen format.
A dedicated app? Yeah right, just what I need. Another app that tries to replicate something that can be achieved without one.
Just give us a proper ePub version already. I for one do not want an imitation of a paper product. I want something done in a format meant for the eReader / iPad it’s going to be read on. In the FAQ you mention more features in the future like interactivity and video. These are things that can be accommodated by a format such as ePub and it can be used by the users in their favorite reader / management apps. It is a format specifically meant for this purpose.
Bottom line. PDF or “EDE” are not options. It’s either ePub* or I’ll walk.
* ePub being an example. There are other formats but I guess it’s the one I’m familiar with using.
Practical books for the most technical people on the planet. Newly available books include:
- Agile Product Development by Ted Schmidt
- Improve Business Processes with an Enterprise Job Scheduler by Mike Diehl
- Finding Your Way: Mapping Your Network to Improve Manageability by Bill Childers
- DIY Commerce Site by Reven Lerner
Plus many more.
- Unikernels, Docker, and Why You Should Care
- Happy GPL Birthday VLC!
- Giving Silos Their Due
- Handheld Emulation: Achievement Unlocked!
- Download "Linux Management with Red Hat Satellite: Measuring Business Impact and ROI"
- New Products
- Controversy at the Linux Foundation
- What's New in 3D Printing, Part III: the Software
- Firefox OS
- Don't Burn Your Android Yet