Announcement: RapidDisk (rxdsk) 1.1b Stable release, a new kind of Linux RAM Disk
I am writing to announce the update release of my Linux RAM disk kernel module RapidDisk (rxdsk). It is currently at a stable 1.1b release with added support for dynamic resizing of attached rxdsk volumes. More information can be found at rxdsk.petroskoutoupis.com.
Note - So far this has only been tested and seen as fully functional on the 2.6.32 and 2.6.35 kernels. There is a plan to upmerge to the 3.x line by the next official release.
A bit of a background...
Unlike brd or zram all attached RAM disk are populated on-the-fly with any user defined size and not during the module’s insertion (i.e. typically system bootup) with a fixed size. When you attach a new RAM disk, you can define sizes as little as 16 Mbytes and in theory as large as 1 TByte and possibly above and it is designed to allocate new kernel pages as needed; so it won’t steal all memory when the RAM disk is created.
For details on contributing, please reference my contribution page. At the moment, I am really looking for assistance on the performance benchmarking. If you have a 64-bit Linux OS installed on physical 64-bit hardware, I would love to see the results of various benchmarking tests using common benchmarking tools.
- Two Pi R
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- A Handy U-Boot Trick
- The Geek's Guide to the Coolest 2013 Holiday Gifts
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- AIDE—Developing for Android on Android
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- RSS Feeds
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Reality is disapointing
7 hours 20 min ago
- Máy sấy quần áo
10 hours 6 min ago
- Services on GlusterFS
10 hours 16 min ago
- Reply to comment | Linux Journal
11 hours 56 min ago
- Definitely cool stuff here
12 hours 58 min ago
- thanks for the information
14 hours 9 min ago
- nice information thanks
14 hours 48 min ago
17 hours 43 min ago
- The lost opportunity of security
1 day 5 hours ago
- Andhra Pradesh has a variety
1 day 9 hours ago