100% disappointed with the decision to go all digital.

I don't have much to say other then I am completely disappointed with the decision to go all digital. Just because we're techheads, doesn't mean we all walk around with friggin ipads or iphones and read pdfs on the crapper.

I will not be renewing my subscription when whatever digital credits I have left with run out.

My only hope is enough subscribers come here and complain for them to reverse their decision, but I doubt that will happen.

Farewell.

it's how they handled it

rinux's picture

I agree,
someone has done a good joke out of season :-(

Arturo.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world — those who understand trinary, those who don't understand trinary and those who mistake it for binary.

I don't own a tablet

nicodr's picture

Like most posters here I am extremely disappointed in the abrupt move to digital-only. I do not own an ipad or any kind of tablet (and will likely not be buying one soon as these things aren't exactly cheap.) I do have an android phone but reading anything besides e-mail on this tiny little screen is a joke. I do have a portable and a desktop but reading any text onscreen for a longer period is simply not convenient. Besides if I'm going to be on-line anyway, there is plenty of interesting information out there I don't have to pay for to be keep me busy.

Now if you guys would consider bundling a free 10" tablet (I'll settle for a Galaxy Tab 10.1) with your subscriptions I'll be happy to renew my subscription, otherwise I suspect you will see the number of subscribers going down very rapidly during the next 12 months.

Like paper over electronic

zohar1825's picture

Willing to try, really try, the non-paper version BUT I like paper because I can.. ..sit in the sun at the beach and sunscreen and salt is not a problem; ..rip out the pages for the one article I really wanted to keep and recycle the rest; ..share the magazine with colleague who is working on project that month delved into; ..use it as table protector as cat prepares to gak on the coffee table. I like NOT staring at a PC/LT screen when I am OFF WORK.

Yes, I have a Kindle - and I read books on it because I can bump up the font size and read without my glasses or read a text that was printed too small/fine for these tired old eyes even with glasses on.

But like many others, if they are honest, one of the main reasons I pick paper over electronic is... my Kindle is not a suitable substitute for paper bathroom reading material.

Exactly my feeling

sthornto's picture

I agree with you on paper media; it is practical where electronic media are unusable. My notes in the margins remind me of corrections/additions or real applications of the content.

I do use digital media, when I need to locate old articles or want to copy/paste program examples, however it is not my first choice.

Glad to see I'm not the only luddite who prefers paper to a screen.

S.

Deal Breaker

RSmith11's picture

I was looking for a good linux print magazine, and finally decided to take the plunge and subscribe to LJ. I haven't even got my first copy yet, and I awake to an email of "we're going all digital".

*sigh*

I mean don't get me wrong, I read a lot online, but I just prefer some things in life to not require me to stare at some form of lit up screen. I, like others have commented, would gladly pay a higher price for a print edition.

Ahh well, time to cancel and find another magazine that will suit my needs. Wish they would have given some kind of heads up on their site when I was subscribing, something along the lines of we won't have print copies much longer.

So Disappointed!

Ken L's picture

I have been a long time subscriber starting in the late 90's. I use technology when and if it suits me. Reading short articles on-line is OK when I do not have a choice. I have yet liked to read a complete magazine on-line. Like many others, I prefer to pick up the magazine and take it with me while I read it a little at a time.

While I will give it a chance, it is unlikely that I will get to like this version of LJ. I can understand the reason for the decision but I do not have to like it. Like some others, I too had just renewed my subscription. A year from this Oct, I expect I will allow this to lapse.

Thanks for the many good years and I wish you well in this transition but I am not holding my breath you will make it.
Ken

Give it a chance

J-rad's picture

Wow the Linux crowd can be dramatic so I imagine you suspected this. Can't wait to try it, I may hate it I may not. If I do I will cancel, if not I will not.

I have to say I read pretty much all books now electronically so this might actually be better once I get used to it. I would love to email bookmarks to myself for projects I actually want to do from the magazine.

The only reason I subscribe is for the print edition.

Pierce Allen's picture

You guys just don't seem to get it. I (like many others) subscribe specifically for the print edition. I can surf the web anytime and get access to all kinds of information about linux.
I don't want to read your magazine on a phone or a tablet or a laptop. I want to read it in print, on the toilet, at the park, on the subway, on airplanes etc.
I have been and would continue to pay more for the print edition, even if the price went up significantly. I just renewed for two years, had I known you were discontinuing the print edition I would not have renewed at all. Put that into your financial projections and see how things look.
As a long standing customer, I feel like I've been misled and sold something that turns out not to be what was advertised.
If there is anything I can do to get you to reconsider this decision please let me know. Otherwise, I will be asking for my money back.

Agreed. Print was the point!

Sam Bromley's picture

Even now I am still in shock. The only point in having a subscription, for me, was the fact that it was a hard copy.

I am patient. I have lot's to read anyway. I can get interesting Linux stories online. But I chose to spend money specifically on a hard copy. Something tangible that makes you feel connected to the people who write the articles. Something unbreakable.

Something that you can put on your bookcase, after years of subscribing, and look on with pride.

There is a reason e-books are still not as popular as paper books, and it has nothing to do with there being to many luddites.

If it's a cost issue, perhaps a fee hike is a possible avenue? I certainly don't feel that the existing price is justified without a tangible copy.

You can't leave your Kindle on the dash of your car.

Poorly handled.

ctalsness's picture

I don't want a digital magazine, I want a print magazine. That is what I subscribed to. I expect I will be able to get a refund for the remainder of my current subscription.

The proper way to have handled this would have been to state that all renewals after $DATE would be digital only and continue sending paper copies to those who had subscribed to them.

Epic FAIL Linux Journal. Epic Fail.

Poll @ LinkedIN

Arturo's picture

For the moment I can only say that the way in which publishers have brought this change of format is very bizarre, almost hopeless task!!!

I agree with many, I also launched this survey on linkedin http://t.co/ZUv5PRe

I have not voted yet, but I've already expressed my disappointment for the decision!

Arturo

LJ going 100% digital: I disagree

Francesco's picture

I understand LJ point to go digital, but I subscribed to a paper magazine, not to a digital one, and want you respect the agreement.

Moreover, as someone already pointed out, not all the people like - or can - read articles from tablet pc, iphone, ipad, laptop, pc ot other electronic media.
One of the reason that led me to subscribe to LJ whas to have the magazine in paper format.
I like to read it when at rest or travelling.
Your choice to go digital (whitout any readers poll!) will refrain me to renew my subscription.

Please, reconsider to continue the classic paper magazine publication. This is the main reason many readers subscribed to LJ.

Best regards
Francesco

Please reconsider

claykkari's picture

LJ is an awesome magazine, but it will not have the same attraction in digital format. I will try to cancel the rest 18 months of my 2-year subscription, sorry.

Going digital takes away the magazine experience

JanUxSol's picture

Just couldn't agree more with what most of the posters here are mentioning. Having a paper copy is the *main* reason I subscribed to LJ in the first place.

Don't want to lug around an e-reader for a magazine. A magazine should be something you stuff in your bag or pocket if you're going somewhere and know you have some time to burn getting there.

I am also quite disappointed that you didn't do a poll with your readers first. How hard is it to actually set up a poll with different options for distribution along with the consequences of the option chosen. Already paying quite a lot more because I am having LJ shipped to NZ, but there's very specific reason why I opted to have a paper copy shipped all the way here.

Even though I love LJ in its current format, after going digital I am not going to extend my subscription.

It might have been a good idea to do some market research first to see how many readers you'd lose when going digital and weighing that up against the cost saving of going all digital. Disappointing your regular readers this way may give you a lot more cost 'savings' than you bargained for.

Also not sure why printing expenses would be going up. I would have expected that with the economic downturn in the US (and most of the world), that more printers would be competing to actually be able to print the LJ magazine, which would drive down costs to actually print it.

Extremely disappointed and sad and I think that the extensive responses from your readers show that they do actually care about the magazine. This should have been handled completely differently to begin with.

disappointed

jjstautt's picture

I paid extra for paper because I wanted paper! My time at a computer is spent working. I do this all day. I subscribe to your magazine because it was an awesome magazine I could read AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.

• I cannot read a pdf in a relaxing bath.
  • I cannot power a laptop at the cottage.
  • I cannot leave a laptop unattended at the beach while I take a dip, thus I cannot read a pdf at the beach

PDFs are nice to be able to recycle the paper copy and keep as reference material. They are not a replacement for a paper magazine.

I understand why, but...

Unkilbeeg's picture

There are a number of electronic newsletters I get. All are fields I'm interested in.

I never read them. It's not that I refuse to do so, but I never get around to them. They come into my inbox and I tell myself, "Oh, I need to read that. I'll do it later."

Never happens. Just too much work.

When my last few issues of LJ get here in electronic format, I'm going to tell myself the same thing. "I need to read that. I'll do it later."

It won't ever happen. I'll intend to, but I never will.

Bummer

Phil (sac)'s picture

Over the years, I only bought single issues off the stand. So while I feel like I dodged a bullet, the reality of the situation is abruptly kicking in...I want to BUY your magazine occasionally, but if it's not on the shelf, I won't.

I won't be giving it away as a gift either.

This is poor leadership, at about the level of a suicide death wish. Even us lowly BBS sysops of the past had to PRINT our Giant BBS Software Manuals... You don't READ that stuff in text format unless you are desperate.

If it's printed I can make notes, I don't know if anyone here has ever borrowed a book, manual, or tech data book from me, but they would notice real quick, I WRITE NOTES in the materials I read. I have done this throughout my life, when I buy my books for college, they didn't go back to the used bookstore, they went on the shelf for future reference. And those notes are solid gold and WHY I find solutions faster than nearly anyone around me during emergencies.

Oh well, so long and thanks for all the fish.

There goes...

Robert Waters's picture

There goes the one thing about my mail delivery that makes me happy: a bright light, among the garbage and overdue bills.

"Financial realities" aside: your entire subscriber base spends the majority of their lives in front of a computer screen.
Why do you think we pay for a paper document be delivered to our homes? Because the information in it is so unique that it can't be found elsewhere? No.

We pay for this paper because it allows us to follow our interests in our leisure time, which many of us prefer to at least partially spend IN THE ACTUAL WORLD where electrons aren't tight-beamed into our eyes from a rectangular flashlight and our fingers aren't hovering over our most-used emacs shortcut keys.

Not to harp, but seriously I am really disappointed, knot-in-the-gut style. I'll be asking for a refund (of the two year renewal card I just lovingly put in the mailbox two weeks ago).

- Robert Waters, subscriber (NY)

Refund

gentoo-user's picture

I have no desire to subscribe to a digital magazine and even less desire to have such a subscription forced upon me.

My request to cancel/refund has already been sent.

Sad news

Roy Kidder's picture

This is sad. I can't tell you how many times I've leafed through a LJ issue and bent down the corner of a page thinking "I don't have time to read this article now, but I'm going to come back and read it later." And I do exactly that.

Show me a dog-eared PDF, and maybe I'll be convinced this is a good idea.

The August 2011 issue is the last one I will read. For LJ's sake, I hope their advertisers aren't reading this thread because apparently I'm not alone.

So, it will be the worst of

Anonymous's picture

So, it will be the worst of both worlds... A PDF that I need to power something to read which is as static and old as the paper magazine was. Good job! Count me as another unsubscriber.

Change rears its ugly head!

Dave Zingg's picture

I expect that I really wouldn't like a static world, but things that I like are often replaced by things that I don't like quite as much. I'll miss the option of relaxing with a print copy of LJ in my hands. Despite my disappointment, I understand that going all digital was not a lightly made decision.

I just renewed my printed + digital subscription a few weeks ago and I do not regret having done that. I really appreciate the effort that goes into creating a publication that is interesting and informative. I'll continue to eagerly await the next issue!

Good bye, LJ

hmckee's picture

I subscribe to other online/digital magazines (PopSci, IEEE Spectrum, Game Dev, Comm of the ACM) and I've tried reading them but in the end something just doesn't work. Bad formats (Zinio is the WORST! Texterity is bad, too, but at least I can get a PDF copy). I've purchased a few LJ CDs but NEVER use them. All my new issue notices go to my "Magazines" mailbox folder and sit there until I clean it out once a year. The closest I come to reading digital content is following links from emails, which doesn't happen very often.

The fact is, when it comes to digital magazines, I NEVER actually read them. With paper, at least I flip through it.

I just renewed my subscription, too. Guess I'll have to get a refund.

Arrgghhh

dandeljx's picture

Reading anything longer than a page or 5 is unpleasant on current computer monitor technology (even though my nVidia card can handle a more-pixel screen, such
screens are hard to find and quite expensive and unless your card has a DisplayPort connector forget it). E-ink reader works for books (for me) but magazines it works badly (and hopeless for many mags). I have no idea if a color e-reader will work, but I am angry at LJ for essentially forcing me to buy one now ... Ugh. I hate this.

Guess this will make me not renew the subscription

Patrick79305's picture

Sad to hear printing costs make you choose the "only digital" way. I am a geek, so love all "tech" things. But I don't like reading a pdf from a screen. Grant you I do have an e-reader (e-paper) and yes, I do read books on it. Don't think it's suitable for magazines though. Too much depending on pictures.

Anyway, will look at the next 4 issues (that's how long the subscription will last (maybe more due to the "conversion") to see if it's any good. Right now I think those 4 issues are the last ones I'll read.
Simply because I like to have a magazine, not some digital PDF. Seen it with a couple of other magazines I read, going digital made me not read them anymore.

Also, if I just need to pay a bit more to have a printed version I would gladly do that. Linux Journal is a great magazine. I'm in Europe so I'm already paying a little bit extra to have it delivered to my doorstep.

Sad it's going this way. I think (but not hope) this will be the end of LJ. We all may be geeks, but we love our paper because it makes us "perform" our hobby without sitting in front of the computer screen.

Patrick

Sad...

Dave G's picture

To say i'm sad to see this happen is an understatement. I, like the many who posted before me, have had my fair share of print editions go "digital". I've tried to read those digital editions and they are just not the same, and it seems to always end up in the same place. Print goes to digital, digital goes to OUT OF BUSINESS.

Truly a sad ending to LJ.

-disappointed in NewJersey.

Not happy

Anonymous's picture

When I subscribed I expected a printed magazine. Just declaring LJ to be 100% digital is no good. Even though I'm a geek, I don't always like to have an electronic gadget in my hands. And since I don't own a tablet, the LJ being 100% digital means I have to spend more time in front of a computer to read it. Currently I read the LJ when I'm traveling; airports and planes. Rather unfriendly places for computer use.

Although I enjoy reading LJ, it is unlikely I will renew my subscription if there is no printed version. If I have to sit at my computer to read LJ, I might as well just use google to find topics of interest to read about for free, no need to pay for your electronic summary.

Very disappointed

NixSince85's picture

I, too, am EXTREMELY disappointed with LJ's decision to go all digital. I *LIKE* having it in hardcopy form. Yes, I'm a Linux geek--been a *nix geek since 1985. Yes, I have [Linux-only] computers all over my house. Yes, I have an Android smart phone. But guess what? I don't like reading magazines on computer screens!

I've subscribed to LJ for many years and its arrival in my mailbox has been a highlight of my month. I looked forward to its arrival, and I've saved every single issue I've ever received. I like thumbing through the magazine, stopping here and there, glancing at articles, deciding what to read first, and being able to go back to earlier issues--and hold them in my hands.

I TOTALLY understand the challenges facing LJ and other publications in this day and age. But isn't there some compromise that can be made so those of us who don't like the all-digital concept can still receive hardcopies? How about different subscription prices for print and digital? That way LJ could reduce the number of copies printed and save money while still making us happy.

Please, Linux Journal, reconsider this dreadful decision.

ngVery dissapointed as well

Frank Lazzarini's picture

Hey,

I have been a subscriber for over a year now, and I chose Linux Journal as my Linux Magazine of choice because it gave me so much input and it has always been very very interesting. I live in Europe and here we have a few Linux Magazines for choice but I always wanted to Linux Journal cause I knew it was the only magazine out there with quality, so as soon as I started working I subscribed. Until now I like collecting the magazine, reading it everywhere I could, which I can't really do with a PDF version. Hell when I was in vacation I even took a copy of Linux Journal to the beach, I wouldn't take any electronic devices to the beach to read something.

Anyhow if it is a question of price I am happy to pay a few bucks more to stay off digital. Cause let's be honest, reading a book as a physical thing holding it in your hand, is just so much more comforting than reading a PDF.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Linux Journal stay on printed material.... PLEASE

Very disappointed

Kristian's picture

I must say that this was a great shock. In order to be order to read a digital magazine I would need to buy some sort of pad for an outrageous amount of money. And that would still be not half as good as reading a paper magazine.
If the expenses are to high, rise the price of the magazine.
I guess that most of LJ's reader are IT-professionals which is a reasonable well payed job.

Thankfully LJ is not the only Linux magazine out there. I subscribe to "Linux Magazine", "Linux Format"," Linux User and Developer", "Ubuntu User" and a Swedish magazine with decent Linux coverage.

From my perspective a few dollars more for the magazine is well worth it if I get a printed copy.

This is truly disappointing

Now-Former Subscriber's picture

I believe this is the beginning of the end for LJ. Like many others here, I believe there's something about holding a physical copy of the magazine that has value. I've tried electronic media before and it simply isn't the same, no matter what spin you put on it or what eye candy (or iCandy) device you wrap around it. Also, like many other readers (and as is the nature of us all being technically savvy), I already look at a screen for the majority of my waking day, both in the office and at home. Like someone else pointed out, for the first couple of days when that paper issue showed up in my mailbox, enjoying it was like a nice little vacation from all my various forms of LCDs.

Despite all the above, I can understand the desire for LJ management to want to go all digital. What I find particularly offensive, however, is the manner in which it's happening. "Oh, by the way, that last one you received, it's the last one you're GOING to receive. Yeah, we don't care if you're in the middle of a current subscription." That just sucks, folks. That's no way to treat your subscriber base. I can understand if you announce it happening a year in the future, or that future subscription renewals will be digital, but to change the rules for people who are mid-subscription is just plain crappy.

Back to my initial point... So even for people who love technology (as is so obviously LJ's audience), having something seriously absent of technology (such as the paper edition) still held some value for many of us (as is certainly evidenced by the activity in this part of the forum). I personally have already tried two digital media magazine subscriptions and have found I simply don't read them so there won't be any experimentation on my behalf to see how I like LJ in digital format. I already know the answer and I won't be renewing my subscription when the the time comes.

Goodbye LJ.

No no no...yes^H^H^Hno

ross.johnson's picture

I don't envy you with this business decision but it is unlikely that I will continue to subscribe once my current subscription runs out - not as a protest, but simply because I can find the same information online anyway for about the same effort [as reading a PDF on screen].

Hard copy has an obvious emotional connection. When I open the letterbox and there's a Linux Journal in there I get a rush that an email attachment just doesn't give me. Perhaps it's the air in the sealed plastic bag but knowing that something began in another form and another place and has arrived physically in my letterbox does reconnect me to the world.

I still have all of my Linux Journal print versions starting at Issue 27 (July 1996). They have been much easier to store over the past 15 years than all the CDs, hard disks, etc. that I've lost track of through the same period. When I pick up a hard copy from years ago the articles and the ads take me back in time. PDF files just don't do that.

I also agree with those who feel that reading the hard copy version is a welcome distraction away from the endless point and click of an IT life, and I would ask the obvious question: once you go digital, why bother with the monthly format?

Please look at history where you'll find at least one other Linux mag that is now defunct after it tried digital subscription, and change your decision please. It only survived while it was free, which I suspect is not where you want to go.

Sad Day, Indeed

Anonymous's picture

If I had known this was going to happen, I would not have renewed my subscription this past week. Rest assured, I've asked for my money back.

Epub

zeugma's picture

Producing just a PDF and web version is lame. It's like you're not even trying. Offer multiple formats, and we might just think you care a little about those of use who have subscribed for years. Like many of the other posters, I subscribed to the hardcopy because I like it better than digital mags. Make subscriptions to the print version cover your costs. Some of us understand a little about economics.

epub version in the works

Carlie Fairchild's picture

We've heard everyone's request for an epub version loud and clear and are off putting one together this very moment. Give us a week or two to perfect it, but we'll have one available very soon for our subscribers.

Re: print... we've done the math every which way and the price we'd have to increase subscriptions is much more dramatic than I believe we'd ever be able to recoup from a large enough group of readers. We're talking $100 subs. I know *I* wouldn't want to pay that (and I loooove paper). But we are listening to everyone here and are taking suggestions to heart -- in fact your note about epubs, along with several others, is the reason why at midnight last night we declared we're making an epub version. So a sincere thanks for taking the time to tell us how you feel here. Hopefully we can deliver you Linux Journal in every digital format under the sun so you can control how you read LJ. That's what I'd ultimately like to see happen.

Carlie Fairchild is the publisher of Linux Journal.

end of printed LJ

michaelheyes's picture

You know, probably half the problem is the issue of print vs electronic delivery. The other half, which has not been addressed by LJ, is the manner the announcement was made. Obviously this issue has been under discussion for quite some time, and then a decision was made. But the subscribers have been completely in the dark about any of the issues.

And LJ knowingly accepted subscriptions for the printed edition right up until the announcement. There can be no excuse for that. And worse, the silence from LJ regarding this is absolutely deafening.

I probably would still be considering whether or not I renewed my subscription, until the lack of respect and consideration displayed by the LJ staff shown here. THAT is what made my decision not to renew quite easy.

Very good points. When I got

NixSince85's picture

Very good points.

When I got the e-mail yesterday announcing the switch, I was like "HUH?! Did I miss something?!" I thought I must have overlooked a previous announcement--either via e-mail, mail, or in the magazine--saying that the switch was coming and that the August issue would be the last I'd receive in the mail. But, no, I hadn't overlooked anything...they just dropped the bomb JUST LIKE THAT. And I think it's inexcusable.

Decision and timing

I can assure you we did not sit on the decision for months. I wish we had had that luxury. It has been *really* tight economically-speaking for a really long time. Did we have a Plan B for just in case this day ever came? Of course.

Think of it as a family living on pay checks month to month.

We got through the last few years by tightening our belts, staying focused and getting lean. But we just couldn't make the numbers work any more.

I did not say that LJ made a

michaelheyes's picture

I did not say that LJ made a decision and then sat on it for months. What I said is that LJ continued to accept subscriptions for a printed edition while remaining silent about the possibility of not fulfilling the contract you entered into by accepting the subscriptions. Right up until a couple days ago.

Take my current subscription for example: for a printed magazine, not electronic delivery even though that was an option. An option that I did not choose.

LJ's message to all of us who are in the same boat: "be thankful you're getting what we're giving."

Gee thanks. Just what I didn't pay for.

no comment

Anonymous's picture

The number one reason I've been reading Linux Journal in the past is because it's in print edition. There are countless quality blog posts and articles about Linux and the free software world fully available online. I was also disappointed to read "iPad" and "iPhone" apps in your email announcing the switch to all digital. A printed magazine still respects my freedom while these devices do not.

Linux Journal you are playing your sad part in this future: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html

iPad and iPhone apps

I know, I know. Trust us, we know. :)

But the hard numbers are that many of our readers own iPad and iPhones (they're less vocal in forums but when we survey our readers, the number of readers who own an iPhone even shocked us).

We also have an Android app coming.

And as of last night we started working on an .epub version which we hope to have available in a couple of weeks.

Epub

zeugma's picture

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you're going to be trying to do an epub version. It really is a lot better than PDFs, as you can bookmark stuff, annotate, and highlight (at least with my reader, a Nook). I've read through all the responses, and I know it has got to be hard for y'all to read, because we know how much the magazine means to you, as well as us. I'm sorry that the numbers don't work for the dead-tree edition. I saw a mention of $100/year earlier. That's a bit steep (and at least a little hard to believe, though I'll take your word for it), but I could easily see paying $50/year. Like many others on the thread, I looked forward to the magazine coming, as it is about the only thing I get in the mail that isn't someone wanting money, or trying to sell me something, or just plain old junkmail that doesn't make it further into the house than the trashcan.
Also, like many others, I think the entire situation was handled extremely poorly. The only excuse for it that I can think of is that the magazine would have folded entirely if a print run had to be made. I just really find that hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible.I'm going to give the electronic LJ a try, and hope it doesn't just turn into something else I see in my inbox then never have time to get back to.I see it as entirely possible that LJ will die anyway, if things are as desperate as has been described earlier in the thread, especially given the way this was handled. I realize that it is difficult for businesses to be transparent, especially when things aren't going well, but I think y'all need to consider the fact that we share a common interest, if not passion. Sometimes the things that bind us together allow us to cut a party some slack, especially if they are open to us.I guess we'll see how it all shakes out in the end. I really hope that LJ doesn't come to the tragic end because I've really enjoyed it over the years, and I appreciate the hard work that has gone into it for that time. God bless you all, and I hope it all works out.

Thanks for your answer and

Anonymous's picture

Thanks for your answer and for working on a solution with the epub format. Best of luck for this transition.

bye

cambler's picture

that'll be it for me as well. Most of us who work in computers find reading a magazine a pleasant alternative to endlessly clicking on links.
No way I'm going to pay to subscribe and get a pdf out of it.
Your magazine brought down and consolidated a lot of web content, and presented it as physical human friendly content. I'm so shocked that you could have taken such a bad decision. If its for financial reasons, print till you go bankrupt, that at least I would respect.
Bye

VERY Disappointed

N Smith's picture

I am so disappointed with LJ. I do not like reading computer screens for a long time and do not have access to any other devices. I will not be renewing my subscription after my three remaining issues. I may not even bother reading the digital editions.

If there is any way to switch it back to print, would you please do so?

Will not renew

SteveS4's picture

Like many others here, I will not be renewing my subscription once any digital credit expires. I like to have the print copy so that I can read anywhere without having to use a tablet/cell phone/computer. I do not like reading from a screen, but prefer to sit in the backyard with a good mag and read.

So long, goodbye, farewell...

terryfunk's picture

I will be dropping my subscription.

The content providers still don't get it...they're the buggy whip manufacturers. In particular, the print media just has not figured it out yet.

With a print magazine, after you read your issue you could leave it laying around the house and people could pick it up and read it and possibly learn something wonderful. With a digitized version of the same thing, that is no longer possible and now tell me...how is that different?

This is the end of an era, yet the print media continues to try to put a round peg into a square hole and they don't realize that it doesn't work that way...so get a bigger hammer for the round peg!

You would think that Linux Journal would have figured out a workable model. The sad truth is they're 'old school', can't figure it out and therefore deserve to vanish.

Your point about leaving a

NixSince85's picture

Your point about leaving a magazine around and other people picking it up is something I've seen many times. I can't even recall how many times visitors have seen a Linux Journal on my coffee table, glanced through it, then asked me about Linux: "Isn't it hard to install?" (No.) "Will windows programs run on it?" (Perhaps...but why would you want to when there are native Linux apps?) "Can I do XYZ on it?" (Yes!) "I thought Linux was all command line!" (Nope, hasn't been for eons!) I've converted people to Linux as a result of their initial interest sparked by seeing LJ in my house.

"Old school" -- I disagree

I would argue being "old school" would be us continuing to print on paper, mailing via USPS and distributing through bookstores. USPS is an entity who is currently closing the doors of 300 of their offices. And bookstores such as Borders, our largest distributor, just closed all of their doors for good.

How we consume data as a society has vastly changed. Being "old school" would mean to ignore that.

That being said, we understand that many readers still prefer hard-copy magazines. But, we also have seen many long-standing, excellent publications either come to an end or grow very thin due to drastic increases in printing costs and decreases in print advertising budgets. We don't want either of those things to happen to Linux Journal, and we are making this change so we can continue delivering the quality content our readers enjoy.

Its clear to me reading

NYbill's picture

Its clear to me reading through these threads that you have been put in charge of "damage control" and "digital only" spin, Charlie. Most of your replies address the small percentage of people inquiring about digital versions, formats, or devices.

To my eye, the sentiment of these threads are subscribers complaining and feeling cheated! Lets face it, this is akin to a "bait and switch".

However this shakes out for you guys, I feel this was handled very poorly!

Webinar
One Click, Universal Protection: Implementing Centralized Security Policies on Linux Systems

As Linux continues to play an ever increasing role in corporate data centers and institutions, ensuring the integrity and protection of these systems must be a priority. With 60% of the world's websites and an increasing share of organization's mission-critical workloads running on Linux, failing to stop malware and other advanced threats on Linux can increasingly impact an organization's reputation and bottom line.

Learn More

Sponsored by Bit9

Webinar
Linux Backup and Recovery Webinar

Most companies incorporate backup procedures for critical data, which can be restored quickly if a loss occurs. However, fewer companies are prepared for catastrophic system failures, in which they lose all data, the entire operating system, applications, settings, patches and more, reducing their system(s) to “bare metal.” After all, before data can be restored to a system, there must be a system to restore it to.

In this one hour webinar, learn how to enhance your existing backup strategies for better disaster recovery preparedness using Storix System Backup Administrator (SBAdmin), a highly flexible bare-metal recovery solution for UNIX and Linux systems.

Learn More

Sponsored by Storix