On NicaLiving.com I brought up language translation issues. (It has to do with Spanish/English, but for you geeks, just pretend it is about C++ or Perl or something.) My wife asked me what "The votes are in!" on the cover of the current LJ meant (in Spanish).
Well, I took a stab at it and, since then, others have talked about it. The main point is that word-for-word translations suck (in any language including Perl).
So, what is "Ya, estan los votos", literally. "Already, they are the votes."
- Readers' Choice Awards 2013
- Mars Needs Women
- IBM Will Minimize Impact of Future Disasters
- December 2013 Issue of Linux Journal: Readers' Choice
- Sublime Text: One Editor to Rule Them All?
- RSS Feeds
- Raspberry Pi: the Perfect Home Server
- Tech Tip: Really Simple HTTP Server with Python
- Linux Systems Administrator
- Senior Perl Developer
- Mixtapes Community
2 hours 46 min ago
- KDE is one true DE
3 hours 20 min ago
- Command Line Shells (Bash, Zsh, etc.) are 2nd place
3 hours 49 min ago
5 hours 44 min ago
- yes it's Jupiter Broadcasting
7 hours 3 min ago
- nice to see PClinuxOS finally
9 hours 37 min ago
- Personally, I am no longer a
10 hours 33 min ago
- It's Jupiter
1 day 58 min ago
- GIMP is certainly a graphic
1 day 2 hours ago
- Thanks For Your Sharing
1 day 6 hours ago